Latest threads in Do-It-Yourself Homeownershow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

12 led rope lights around pool NEC code
Hi, I am installing a pool and the coping has a fiber optic channel for perimeter lighting. But the new available lighting is 12 volt LED. What does the NEC say about installing water proof 12 volt...

Rotting shower wall boards
I have a shower cubicle installed about seven years ago. The walls are proprietary waterproof boards - plywood with a laminate surface. The bottom edges are within the upstands that surround the...
4
4

advice on paint durability
I need to repaint an area of exterior wall under some ground floor windows which is badly flaking - probably no more than a square yard - and have found a small can of dulux 'feature wall'. I quaked...
2
2

Wet carbon steel knife forgotten on rice cooker
Carbon steel knife inadvertently left 'wet' on top of the white plastic lid of a rice cooker, overnight. Brown rust stain has soaked into the plastic. Is there any chemical that might remove the stain...
30
30

wavy lines on tv from security camera
Been up in the loft doesnt seem to be anything in the way to cause distortion and camera works ok I can still see who is at the door but its a pest with the wavy lines any suggestions thanks
3
3

LED Lights and dimmer switches?
Hi, I want to fit downlights throughout my flat but would also like to have soon rooms controlled by dimmer switches. I'm thinking of these lights: Hamilton Hartland dimmers: dimmer will have between...

Advice on installing frame anchors in PVCU doors please.
I'm about to install some PVCU (plastic) French doors from Wickes and I'm not sure about how to go about installing the frame anchors. The anchors are 8mm diameter so I need to make an 8mm hole...
4
4

decking on flat roof
I want to lay decking and a half-height trellis surround on the flat roof of my kitchen/bathroom extension to make a roof terrace. Basically I'm laying 3x2 direct onto the felt roof in the direction...
3
3

Socket in garden
Here's my plan, does anyone foresee any problems or dangers? Got an outdoor weatherproof socket housing (IP65), going to mount it on outside wall underneath PVC window-sill. I'm going to drill a hole...
11
11

Need a 220 line
I just bought a welder and I need to put a 220 line in my garage. There are currently no 220 lines in my house. I live in NYC so i'm sure that there's 220 coming into my house. When it comes to my...
7
7

Ring main and spurs
I've been trying to sort out the electrics at a property my son bought about 18 months ago for some time. The lighting circuit was condemned when an inspection was carried out by an electrician...
13
13

Mount Plasma T.V. over Fireplace to 1x4 studs
My fiance wants me to mount our plasma tv over our fireplace, which occupies a "hollow" built-out column (a gas fireplace that protrudes 20" from the main wall, with a drywall shell built around it,...
5
5

Hanging wall cabinets
I tore down a tile wall in my kitchen in order to hang new wall cabinets only to find the brick exterior and some wire mesh. How can I hang the cabinets I already purchased with no beams?...
3
3

D.I.Y Pool heater
Hi I was wondering if it was plausible to make a pool heater from an old shower unit? It would need to have an internal pump, preferably an older low wattage unit. I would prefer to supply the power...
11
11

Mortice lock stiff to turn.
Our mortice lock has gone from slightly stiff to turn to fairly stiff to turn over the last week. Any suggestions or should it be replaced? Mal
12
12