Latest threads in Do-It-Yourself Homeownershow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Combi boiler
Hot water ok but rads won't come on, no flashing warning lights, pressure fine, any ideas please?
10
10

Hose spraygun
Does anyone know the internal workings of such things? I have a decent quality brass-bodied spray gun - the type with a dial on the front for selecting one of 10 spray patterns. It won't turn off. At...
2
2

Phillips GC8220 steam generator
Mrs Midge's beloved steam generator iron seems to have thrown a wobbly. Anyone know much about these? It wasn't cheap (I think they are around £150) but its probably out of any warranty now - must be...
3
3

Cable detectors for BRICK?
Hi I am going to do drilling, hammering nails etc. into the brickwork of my house's interior walls. I need a cable detector but none of the ones I have seen detect pipes/cables in BRICK. The majority...
2
2

The shed shortcut:
The shed shortcut: a veteran builder takes a quick route to a great shed with a precut kit.(Home) ------------------------------------- | | | _ | _________|__( )__|_________ x/ _| |( . )| |_ x |_|...
3
3

Bees in loft - Leave them or block the small hole up from outside?
I have had bees going through a smaal hole between two tiles just below the rook ( 2 story house). I am sure they are bumble bees. I am reluctant to do anything as they at the moment are not a...
10
10

DIY Plumbers
I am quite sure that many people have come across this at some time. You want to replace the taps on the bathroom basin. You don't wish to get a plumber in for financial reasons or fear of getting...
19
19

Solar Panels
With the current buyback offers, the sales folk make solar power microgeneration a contender for you cash and having seen a few houses have panels fitted it makes me wonder are they going into it...
6
6

What are these door-handle fixings called?
I'm trying to source some new ones but don't know the name. They attach door handles to the door by screwing into each other, both look like screws from the outside when in place, but one is a (approx...
2
2

ceiling lights
I admit I havent a clue about wiring. I just replace a light fitting by copying the wiring on the light I am replacing. I have replaced a few 3 way spotlight lights and normally it is just a case of...
1
1

decking paint
I have a decking on a flat roof extension. It's tanalised, of course, but I'd like to paint it. Can anyone recommend a decking paint that won't cause harm to the felt roof? I ask because I notice the...

Floorboard gaps
Hi I have sanded my living room floor. There are now some rather draughty spaces between floorboards. Please don't mention glue and sawdust or folded pieces of plastic strips. I have tried those...
5
5

Installing Wet Electric Heating Economy 10 in a Very Small flat
I have a very small bedsit flat of about 40 sq m that needs a new boiler. It has an old Biasi Prisma combi boiler designed for a 3 bed house that is on its last legs and will have to go. An electric...
2
2

Shower wiring.
I have a Triton Monaco 7KW shower which has just died. I'd like to replace it with another, but the Monaco seems to be no longer available. All the showers I find seem to be 8.5 KW and upwards. One...
1
1

hanging basket bracket
After the heavy winds my hanging basket bracket is fairly loose,a joiner put it up with rawl plug and screws I have tightened them but not sure if like the recent winds if my basket wont come crashing...
7
7