Latest threads in Do-It-Yourself Homeownershow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Carpet Underlay Options
My carpet supplier has offered me three types of underlay, none of them are the 'wavy' or solid rubber stuff I've seen before. Two seem to be made of crumbs of foam (Cloud 9 brand) and one...
5
5

A Bit Off Topic
I was mowing the lawn (petrol mower), went over a drain cover, hit it with the blade, mower stopped. Now can't restart, blade difficult to turn by hand. Anyone got any idea what the problem is?...
3
3

Leaking Bathroom
I hope someone can give me some help or advice as to this problem. Our bathroom sits above our kitchen, and the bath has an electric shower in it, with a fold up shower screen. The flooring is wooden...
1
1

Chromed copper pipe to plain?
Can chromed copper tube be joined to plain copper tube using soldered joints? I'm thinking of using it for the uprights to radiators to save painting. Thanks mark
5
5

Shower tray.
I want to install a shower tray. Never had a separate one before so please bear with me. I have a 1200 by 800 rectangular one in mind with a sheet of glass down the non wall side and no door. I notice...
3
3

Power points - minimum height?
I believe there is a minimum height above the floor, but my enquiry is regarding a brick outbuilding which is just below 30 sq metres and is exempt from Building Regs. I would like to put the...
2
2

Pipe Fitting
Is it possible to get hold of a plastic pipe fitting that will join a 70mm diameter pipe to a 52mm pipe and if so where can I get one. Thanks
2
2

Door locks for kitchen cupboards.......
I have a reason to fit some door locks on kitchen cupboard type cabinets, can anyone suggest a way of doing this or a type of lock and key that will do ? cheers
5
5

Relocating mains supplies
Who should I contact in order to relocate the mains supplies of gas, water and electricity to our house?
5
5

Knot bleed through paintwork?
Hi All, Is the only answer to rub down to the bare wood, or is there anything that can be applied over the existing paint to stop the mark reappearing through new paintwork? Cheers. Bill
3
3

Trevi TT shower valve - fibre washers
Is what you need here? If not, phone/e-mail 'em and they may have the bits.
3
3

Mixer taps
Hi How do I fix this leak on my tap? I'm a bit worried about how tight the nuts are one the tap, I've tried loosening the nuts but they seem to be fixed! The left tap is the problem, if I push...
7
7

Virgo Home Improvements - Bradford Poor Sales technique, and really Quite rude!!
I live in Kirklees, I had one of this companies sales reps round the other night to quote for soffit replacements, after doorstepping my missus and getting her to agree to an appointment. I didn't...
1
1

Does this laser measurer exist?
I am looking for a laser measurer that will measure the distance between two balls in the game of Petanque (French boules). The balls are about 3ins in diameter and made of steel - so quite heavy. The...
4
4

Kitchen Wall cabinet onto plasterboard
Hello all, I need to attach some wall cabinets to a kitchen wall that has a plaster board section. I was thinking about using those spiral fixings that fix into the wall with a separate screw that...
4
4