Latest threads in Do-It-Yourself Homeownershow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Mantle
Fireplace Mantle SWMBO decided that the fireplace was not period and should be changed. Purchased a solid/pine mantle in natural finish and need to paint White. Any suggestions on what paint I should...
4
4

loft insulation
is this nailed, tacked or stapled down? sorry about the briefest of question
1
1

Speedfit plastic pipe and brass compression fittings Which Insert to use?
I've been rejigging the central heating, with a new rad fitted in one cold spot in the house. I've been using this JG Speedfit plastic pipe (things are a lot easier than they used to be,...
4
4

Cutting bricks......
Is there an easy way of breaking a common brick in half with just bog standard tools or do I need some complicated cutting thing.....?!
8
8

Wood Metal Detector
Hi All, I have lost my instructions for my "The Tracker" device. Anyone any idea whether I can download them anywhere? All I really need to know is what the little grey screws are for? Ta. Bill.

Fire Door to give away.
Fire retaining door to give away, in good condition, standard size, 30" x 78" in plain untreated wood finish, complete with handles and hinges. Must be collected from near Eastwood, Nottingham, (2...
1
1

Electrical interference?
I've just plugged in a new desk lamp which sits on my computer desk - it has its own wall socket. When I switch it on or off, there's a loud 'pop' from the PC's speakers. How can I...
4
4

GCH Installation Questions
I have a question for all the sages on here about the installation, size and rough cost of installing (not replacing an existing) gas central heating system in my house The house is an old, big...
5
5

Kitchen wall cupboards
Since removing one of my kitchen wall cupboards (LHS of cooker) in order to fit a new central heating boiler, the other cupboard (RHS of cooker) has dropped by up to 1/2". The two cupboards were...

Rough cost for a fitted bathroom
Hi all, I`m looking at getting a bathroom redone in the house. The room is roughly 2m x 2m, and already has the electricity and water in, as well as the waste pipes out. I`m not good at this level of...
7
7

removing limewash
We've been given a pine wardrobe which has been lime washed. Rather poorly, to be charitable about it. It's now covered in streaky white residue. How best to remove it without doing further...

Hepworth HP20
As I said in a previous posting I am refurbing my sisters bathroom whilst she is on holiday. Part of the existing plumbing is using HP20 fittings. I nreed to do some altertions, hw do I dismantle...
21
21

Dot & Dab
I am refurbing my sisters bathroom (old stone terrace). When the old tiles were removed a sizeable patch, 2ft x 2ft, of plaster has come away down to the bricks approx 1" deep. My plastering skills...
7
7

Mould attack - HELP!
Hello all, I need some mould advice. I have a north facing kitchen with a twenty + year old chipboard units in it. The walls are solid brick, and the floor is tiled but probably without a DPC. The...
3
3

Scale inhibitors
I refer to those gadgets that go around incoming water pipes. Do they work.
3
3