Retaining Wall Construction Question

Our backyard retaining wall is deteriorating and needs to be replaced. It=92s 4=92 high and about 30=92 long. We believe it=92s stone (with mortar) covered by a layer of concrete. Most of the wall is outside, but a section of the wall supports a furnace room. (The furnace room is connected to the house, but there=92s no access to the furnace room from inside the house). Some contractors have recommended installing a poured concrete wall. Some contractors have recommended installing 10=94 CMU blocks filled with concrete and rebar. Some contractors have recommended replacing only the exterior portion of the wall with modular block (Versa-Lok, Mesa Wall, Unilock, etc.) and using rebar to tie into the existing section in the furnace room. What=92s the best solution? We=92re in New York state, so freezing in the Winter is an issue. Thanks very much!

Reply to
L W

I am sure you looked up Versa Lok It is pretty interesting and I have used it. It also requires a mat (geo grid)at 2' increments to help stabilize high walls. I do not know how you would tie it into the existing though. It is a retaining wall on its own. Maybe just pour a retaining wall either masonry units or a poured wall at the furnace room and then do block from that? Versa Lok, is fine on its own but I am not sure if you start trying to attach it to an existing wall? What about going infront of the furnace room/retaining wall with Vers Lok and back fill with gravel. That is where most of the problems occur is when no drainage is built into the backside of a retaining wall. Now you have ice to worry about too???? Look up Versa Lok and see if they work with ice conditions. john

Our backyard retaining wall is deteriorating and needs to be replaced. It?s 4? high and about 30? long. We believe it?s stone (with mortar) covered by a layer of concrete. Most of the wall is outside, but a section of the wall supports a furnace room. (The furnace room is connected to the house, but there?s no access to the furnace room from inside the house). Some contractors have recommended installing a poured concrete wall. Some contractors have recommended installing 10? CMU blocks filled with concrete and rebar. Some contractors have recommended replacing only the exterior portion of the wall with modular block (Versa-Lok, Mesa Wall, Unilock, etc.) and using rebar to tie into the existing section in the furnace room. What?s the best solution? We?re in New York state, so freezing in the Winter is an issue. Thanks very much!

Reply to
jloomis

I agree with John that connecting a versa-lok or similar block wall into an existing retaining wall presents issues, with any decision you come to, add weep drains and granular fill to allow water to escape from behind the wall. Hydrostatic pressure behind the wall can and probably cause it to fail. A few years ago the company I was with (we didn't do the original construction) cleaned up and replaced about 1/2 mile of retaining wall

Reply to
Tom Cular