Need a good cheap hand-held drill guide (mostly for 90° drilling)

I mostly need something to guide my handheld drill when I need to make holes perfectly perpendicular to the wood surface.

I found this guy:

Which does angles, though it's unclear how rigid it is. My needs are for

90° but angles could be of use someday.
Reply to
Thomas G. Marshall

Might be worth the $26 they are asking for it.

Or you could use a drill press. There are many other examples, some better (and some worse) to do what you want.

Reply to
PeterD

Make your own jig out of scraps. Edge glue/nail together 2 pieces of 1x2 to form a V. Cut the ends off square. Place your drill bit in the V and hold it against the desired hole location. For angled holes cut the jig end off at the desired angle. Good. Free. Hand held.

Art

Reply to
Artemus

Artemus said something like:

I like how you think....I may do just this....I was planning on using a press to cut trusted holes in a block of hardwood of every diameter from dinky to 1/2" to match all my drill bits....like the V thing better.....but....neither idea works well because I lose the depth of the bit, unless I get all new extra long bits.

Reply to
Thomas G. Marshall

That sure looks better than the thing I have from Sears. It's a hoseclamp thing that uses an extension bar to find the right angle. And a royal pain in the ass to use. What you've found may be a reasonably cheap alternative to a drill press. Which I should likely just bite the bullet and buy.

Reply to
Tanus

I've used this one for years, and I like it. Good, fast, and cheap.

Tom Dacon

Reply to
Tom Dacon

I use that one too, and like it. And if you use twist bits, you can enlarge a smaller diameter hole with a bigger bit, and it'll still be perpendicular to the surface.

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

Hmmm.....

Since I posted this, it's gone from "in stock" to "out of stock" at sears......perhaps I need to keep such things to myself... :)

Reply to
Thomas G. Marshall

It's a few dollars more than the Sears unit but...

Nova

Is that the same manufacturer I wonder?

Reply to
Thomas G. Marshall