Looking for a good way to soundproof my windows

Hey everybody, I live in the Chicagoland area near O'Hare airport and was thinking about soundproofing my windows to try to reduce the noise from airport traffic. I'd like to do it as inexpensively as possible but don't have the time to do it myself. I was thinking of finding a contractor that does this kind of work but I don't know where to begin, does anyone have some ideas or know of a good company to go with? Thanks for your help, Sarah

Reply to
sarahs1ater

Determine how old your windows are. If they were manufactured by a company that still exists you might be able to get double glass installed. If that isn't the case you might have to purchase new windows that have double glazing. The other note is that even if they are double glazed if they are open they won't do any good. Even a small crack. Also, what do your exterior walls consist of. If they are just wood framed stud walls do they have insulation installed? If not adding insulation will cut down on the airport noise. (Not an easy job with existing walls.) I say cut down because it depends on how close you are to the airport. But what ever you have to do it will at least cut down on the airport noise but not all.

Good luck.

CID...

Reply to
Chuck

Re double glazing...The optimium seperation for preventing sound transmission is larger (at around 6") compared the smaller gap needed for thermal insulation.

Reply to
CWatters

I once built a radio station. We achieved complete sound proofing by setting in one pane of glass straight and the other one with the space at the bottom about 1/2" and the top at 1-1/2". It works. The panes were about 4' square. The sound bounces around in there until it wears it's self out.

"CWatters" wrote in message news:462c87bc$0$8738$ snipped-for-privacy@ptn-nntp-reader02.plus.net...

Reply to
Glenn

In the 1960/70's they built a motorway past our house. The government provided compensation for double glazing but my father had already installed some. They wouldn't give him the cash because the air gap was only the narrow gap applicable for thermal insulation...they would only pay for a wider gap.. so he had them come and install another layer of glass at the required 6" spacing making it tripple glazing. That worked well.

Reply to
CWatters