concrete slab movement in northern climate

I have a detached garage addition, I'd like to add a non-load bearing interior wall, 12' long across a 20' width, with the top wall plate perpendicular to the trusses. The addition is insulated to recommended R-value for a northern Indiana climate and the slab has a thermal break on the exterior footing walls.

I'm concerned if slab movement will cause cracking in the drywall ceiling if I make the new wall a tight fit between the slab and the drywall ceiling.

Reply to
Jeff D.

Here is a trick I learned from a fellow who built in a cold climate. Use two bottom plates and keep them spread apart by 1/2" or so and don't nail the drywall to the one that sits on the floor. If the floor moves up or down the drywall will not be affected.I have not done this myself but he said it worked. Good luck. TonyG

Reply to
TonyG

If the interior is heated and the slab does not freeze, i'd say you'll be ok.

S. Barker

Even if frost heave isn't an issue, expansive soil may be.

Search for "expansive soil" and "floating wall". Whether and how to build a floating wall will likely depend on the specifics of your situation. (soil type, garage construction details, intended use, etc.)

Reply to
Mike Paulsen

JD:

I'd call your area building agency and see if historical reason exists for you to worry and to learn what the common approaches to resolution of the problem are should there be one. If this is not going to be a bootleg operation, you are going to satisfy their requirements anyway.

Should you have irrepressible fear of damage from heave, expansion or the first instance of a temblor in your area, there are several novel ways a person could avoid your worry and still build a wall that was stable by the use of an innovative floating attachment to the ceiling but getting them by code would likely either be difficult or require an expensive engineering argument.

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

Reply to
Edward Hennessey

Thanks to everyone for all the help. The wall was to attach hanging shelving for my record collection storage. I wanted to match the existing shelving I had previously installed on an exterior wall. Well I scored some 8ft tall free standing shelving that works fine so I'm going in a different direction.

Reply to
Jeff D.