Best Rated threads in Building Constructionshow all threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Need Construction Company Name
Hi All, I m new member of this group. I m opening my new construction company so need u r help to name it. ---Thanks in Advance
14
14

Drip irrigation for hanging plants on front porch
I have a front porch with routinely-killed hanging plants. Basically I seem to be genetically designed to turn every living plant creature into dust through water-negligence. I am in need of...
7
7

Septic question for Dave Jeeves or others
We're building a new house - 2500 sq ft., 4 bedrooms, 4 occupants. The county in Ohio where I live set requirements as 1000 gallon scrap tank and 1000 gallon ATU, output gravity feed to 1200...
8
8

How to install tile over carpet glue?
My client wants ceramic or porcelain tile on her back porch. The previous owner had glue-down green carpet/fake grass there. My question is: Can I put thinset down on top of the remaining skim layer...

Patio Door Advice
I need to replace three ancient aluminum sliding patio doors. I think they were never installed propoerly (about 40 years ago) and two are leaking. I would "like" to put in quality wood french doors...
10
10

Domestic Extension - Parapet Wall vs Standard Flat Roof
Hi all, Building a large (7m x 4m) flat roof extension on a 1930's semi, of which 3 walls will be "external". Basically we have a design dilemma! The other half wants a parapet wall at the front...
2
2

OSB resistance to pooled water?
There is a spec house going up in the phase II part of our sub. We've gotten a torrential downpour, a real monsoon, last weekend. The roof on this spec was only papered at the time, although the...
10
10

Lawn tractor bridge design
I need to span a small creek in my back yard and am building a 16' bridge with 2" x 12" x 16' pressure treated lumber; making it 4' wide with four 2" x 12"s set on a little less than 2' centers. Can...
4
4

One man's answer to stonehenge - KISS it!
man demonstrates one possible way how stonehenge could have been built. Use the KISS method. Keep it simple stupid. Wally Wallington has demonstrated that he can lift a Stonehenge-sized pillar...

Monitor Kerosene Heaters/ stopped production ?
I have 3 Monitor heaters that use K1 fuel oil. I like them a lot, but have heard recently that Monitor has stopped making them. Anyone know if this is true, and if so, where would one find parts for...

SIPs panels and off-gassing
Hi -- I'm looking at SIPs walls and roof panels made by Eco Panels, and am wondering about off-gassing issues related to these products. Eco Panels claims there is no off-gassing with their products,...
12
12

steps in rebuilding a bathroom
Hi all, I'm doing some bathroom rebuilding, and I'm trying to get a better understanding of the steps involved. If anyone sees anything miss, could they please shout out? thanks in advance!...
10
10

Sealing kickboard molding?
In a fully-insulated home in N. California SF Bay Area (very temperate climes) is it common to seal the back side as well as the front of kickboard molding? The owner is insisting that the back side...
18
18

Where can i buy an 8' length of 30" diameter pipe ?
I have a project that requires 30" or greater diameter pipe ; it can be metal or fiberglass . I can even use culvert pipe if it goes that big. Any idea where i go to find something like this ? Thanks.
8
8

Insulating a roof with no crawl space
Just bought a home built in 1950. The roof I suspect has minimal insulation. To make the ceilings high, the builder has put in no crawl space and the rafters are visible from inside the house. The...
8
8

screwing in tapcons into hollow brick
Hi, I am building a Lanai screen using Aluminum frames from HD. I have been trying to use tapcons to screw in the frame into the hollow brick. Problem is when I try to drive the tapcon into the...
4
4

How to Hang large extension ladder on Garage Wall?
Hi All - Does anyone know the best way or what type of bracker/hanger to hang a heavy duty extension ladder (12ft closed, weighs around 50lbs +) on a garage wall which is sheet rock. The only thing I...
8
8

Gable trim and porch beam trim--advice?
We need some advice on trim for our new house. Please see a close-up look at our front elevation so you know what I'm referring to... wondering about the gable trim and the porch beam trim. What...
52
52

alkyd paint and rain
Hello. I need to apply alkyd (oil-based) paint to an exterior railing, but I do not expect a stretch of dry weather in the foreseeable future. My question is, if I can apply the paint and then tarp...
4
4

drywall & clogged drain
We had our house remodeled 18 months ago. The drywallers may have used the utility sink for more than just water. The sink drain was clogged after words so I successfully snaked it out. Now after some...
4
4