Latest threads in Building Constructionshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Repoiinting Firebrink
It's in the 30's today in Northern Ohio and I want to repoint the mortar at the top of my firebox (natural fireplace) where the damper frame meets the fire brick. My concern is the...
18
18

Replacing shallow concrete foundations - worth it?
Hi, Our N.Z. timber house is on a slope. The side of the house facing the valley has concrete foundations that are very, very shallow (probably no more than 8-10 inches deep). My guess is that when it...
10
10

Ozone Generator for Swimming Pool
On a recent test I found a FreshWater(R) II unit. It is an Ozone generator for pools and I'm seeing they are also used for hot tubs and Jacuzzi's. The EPA and the American Lung Association...
28
28

cutting hole for steel chimney
I need to cut a 12" diameter hole through floor for steel chimney. Chase is only 13" wide so not enough room to complete hole with jigsaw or sawzall. Hoping someone can offer solution. Thanks in...
4
4

Hardy plank squirrel proof? Other recommendations?
Hello Group, I'm relatively new to the group having been a lurker for years, now I have a concern. My wife and I built a log home in the 80's and added an addition to it two years ago. Both...
20
20

Help pls: adding 2nd floor to Cape Cod-style house
A less web-enabled friend is renovating a 1930s Cape in NY state, adding second floor. Wants to move staircase for better use of floor area; likes some of the ideas in Jane Gitlan's book. He would...

designing Alaskan home
I am designing a home to build myself (mostly) in Fairbanks Alaska. I will have a lot of questions throughout this process and hope you guys can help. Not all of the questions will have to do with...
16
16

screwing in tapcons into hollow brick
Hi, I am building a Lanai screen using Aluminum frames from HD. I have been trying to use tapcons to screw in the frame into the hollow brick. Problem is when I try to drive the tapcon into the...
4
4

mini cabin needs heat
We are building a cabin, 24x17feet, on crawl space in a place that has heavy snow in the winter. Honestly, we probably won't go there in the winter because it is off the road too far to keep the...
8
8

Ladder usages
charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
2
2

Measuring my coffee table for a glass top
(I figure it's OK to ask this question here, since I may set my coffee down there while working on a construction project.) I need to get a piece of 1/4" glass cut to put on top of a wood coffee...
6
6

Temporary patch to replace tile?
Good afternoon. I had to remove some of my bathtub tile, as water had seeped behind the tile and soaked the plaster underneath. I removed the soaked plaster (oatmeal consistency) and dried out the...
12
12

Patio cover header attached to fascia question
Hello, I am attaching my patio cover header to my fascia. The fascia is held in by blocking to a header on my wall. Some of the rafters are tied into the blocking, while other rafters fall a little...
2
2

Audels Masons and Builders Guide - Plus - Audels Answers on Blue Print Reading
Masons and Builders Guide Volumes 1 through 4 By Frank D. Graham and Thomas J. Emery Theo. Audel & Co., Publishers, New York, 1950. Reprint edition. Set of Four Volumes. Handsome black textured...

Shed construction- stud lengths & sheeting, oh my!
I enlarged the drawing and see you are right. From an engineering point of view, the edge nailing is what is critical anyway, so perhaps that is why they don't deal with field nailing in their guide....
40
40