Latest threads in Building Constructionshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Armeg (INOVATING DRILLING PRODUCTS)
The answer to drilling ceramic, Porcelain, marble, glass etc The solution to non-slip and easy start-up: Diamond ground tip geometry actually bites into tiles, eliminating wander and slip at the start...

House on pilings
I am looking at buying a house that is built on pilings at the beach. It is a block from the ocean, built in 1994. Is there any way to have the pilings inspected to make sure they will be good for...
6
6

Joist selection
Hi, I've got to sister five 17' long ceiling joists, due to removing a bearing wall. I've done the engineering, and given the existing roof construction, I've got two options that...
88
88

Polyurethane Caulking Advice
Hello All I'm looking for a flexible, fast curing Polyurethane caulking that is similar to "Tremco's" - "Dymonic FC" Tremco makes the "Vulkem" 116 as well but it's too gritty. I like the...
2
2

Code Allowance for Holes in Joists Bob K
Bob, Could you expand on this comment, please? "personally I think some code allowances for holes in joist are a little too generous." From your comments, you appear to have run tests. Were the...
6
6

Window Size ?
It is time to replace the windows along the front of my house. One room I use as an office and the other as a spare bedroom. Alas, the windows, large 6ft wide and 5ft high, are mounted 22" off the...
14
14

pitch on slab
I have a garage plan that calls for a monolithic slab with a 2" pitch toward the garage door. It looks like the walls are bolted directly to the slab. My question is, wouldn't that make the whole...
20
20

Architectural program for AutoCAD LT
New release: Real Architect 2008 Architectural drafting program for AutoCAD LT. Retail: $89.00. Upgrade: $49.00. Real Architect 2008 is easy to learn and powerful enough to produce complete sets of...

landscaping privacy
Was wondering what others have done to put up privacy barriers between neighboring homes. I'm on a corner lot in a "typical" suburban sub division. The lot is about a 200' x 100' size....
34
34

How to reinforce drilled floor joists
Can someone tell me what is the correct way to reinforce some timber floor joists, that have been drilled off limits for services, as follows: Joists are H8.6" x T1.8" The holes are round, 2" diameter...
14
14

Incandescent lighting for high ceiling
I have a room in our office that has a high ceiling (28' floor to underside of ceiling) and it has industrial HID lighting that is bright but takes a long time to turn on. It is gives out a...
4
4

Size (width) concrete beam
I have to put a 10" x 10"(reinforce ) concrete beam on top of concrete block wall 8 foot hight, I can not go higher then 10", I would like to know if i make it 10" hight and 16" wide is it better? or...
8
8

Concrete Pavers for Driveway?
We have installed concrete pavers for walkways and a small patio, but I am considering using pavers for our driveway this summer. I typically install a 4-6" compacted gravel base, then the 1" sand...
16
16

Dishwasher for old shallow kitchen counter?
Good evening. I want to put a dishwasher in my 1930 kitchen. Unfortunately, the old counters are quite shallow. The distance from the wall surface to the cabinet face is 21.5". I could probably get...
6
6

EXCELLENT MACHINE
DELTA HORIZONTAL BORING MACHINE. MODEL 32-350 WORKS EXCELLENT SELLING DO TO HEALTH REASONS. BITS INCLUDED PAID $2000.00 NEW SELLING FOR $800.00 CALL 207-364-2869
2
2