Latest threads in Building Constructionshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Need Quality UPVC Doors in UK
An Imperial Door also a leading supplier of bifolding doors in UK. Bifolding doors are also known as bi fold doors, bifold doors, concertina doors, folding doors and sliding doors. Our comprehensive...
6
6

Kawneer Door - Offset Pivot Removal and Replacement
I need to replace the bottom offset pivot (door portion only). I want to know what to expect after I take the door off. The new 3/4" offset pivot comes with 2 different kinds of screws, in two...

Need help with Compact Fluorescent
Need help with Compact Fluorescent California Home Our vanity bathroom has a 26W Nutone Compact Fluorescent 2 pin light / with fan - ceiling light. ( the light appears to be about 9 inches long) It is...
8
8

The real housing crisis is one of quantity
The REAL housing crisis is that TOO MANY of them are being built every day, bad mortgages or not. Mindless overpopulation (75 million annually, worldwide) is treated as natural. Nature is treated as...
136
136

Concrete guy with issue has an Asphalt question from you experts
Since I have hopefully resolved the concrete pad issue I was wondering just how long I could expect a 3-4" asphalt drive to stay intact before cracking here in cold Minnesota. I asked the company who...
12
12

Shipping Container Architecture
Many examples of using shipping containers as architectural elements: Firmitas.org
22
22

Buying a House or a Home?
A house is just that, a house, until someone lives in it. That's when it becomes a Home. There's a big difference. At our house, we always say our home is "well lived in." And, with a family...
2
2

plywood deflection rating
I'm building a wall of storage shelving for my 45 record collection (appx. 20,000). The records are stored 200/box and each box is 16x8x9, weighing 15lbs. Will 3/4" plywood shelving 4 feet long...
38
38

Wind power plant
Hello I have a little problem. I've got a private firm, the area which is surrounded by a fence. I would like to light this area with twelve 500W lamps. Could one of those wind power plants it?...
4
4

board and bat siding?
wanting to apply rough timber board and bat siding to a new construction, but my "thinking like water" mentality makes me a bit nervous about the vertical joints and the dimensional variations of the...
8
8

Table saw recommendations please
I don't need cabinet makers grade. I just want one that is a 10" and has a fence that doesn't have to be dicked with every dam time to keep it square. I have this POS rockwell I paid WAY too...
8
8

power washing house question(s)
ok, i've got a house with both vinyl siding and brick (real bricks) exterior. a apparently reputable (in business over 10+ yrs) company has offered to wash the exterior with a hot water/low...
6
6

Paint - ?enamel over latex?
Hi, all, Is it bad to paint over gloss latex paint with enamel? THe latex gloss used on teh trim and doors in the house doesn't resist staining or stand up to cleaning as much as I'd like, but...
18
18

Flickering lights on one circuit
When I had a circuit flicker it was the BUS in the breaker panel.....the Galvanized bus was corroding..... maybe I've been told from mild water damage(panel is under the kitchen sink area in the...
34
34

wall construction-
can i get some input on what layers to use on a new (eco-ish) construction in cold canada? i am thinking of (from outside to inside) siding, firring, 1"rigid foam, 7/16"osb, 2x6 with white fibreglass...
14
14