Latest threads in Building Constructionshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Why are bathroom fans in ceiling?
Why are bathroom exhaust fans mounted in the ceiling? Wouldn't down low next to the toilet be a better location? Maybe even lower than the toilet and behind the toilet. Then the "smell" would go...
27
27

Being your own "general"
If anyone has ever built a house without a builder, just directly hiring subs and what was the experience like good and bad?
19
19

Residential plumbing bonding question
Good morning. I appear to have an electrical bonding problem with my plumbing. I am measuring 60VAC between my kitchen faucet and the kitchen drain fitter. The problem became evident when I replaced...
9
9

Window Allowance includes what?
Hello folks, I'm finishing a contract (me HO). The contract specified a window allowance. I ordered the windows. They came in at less than the allowance. I'm deducting the full allowance from...
1
1

Hot tub platform
I'm moving my hot tub to ground level and, after looking for deck designs, found an interesting one. This was proposed way back in 2000 on one of these newsgroups, but no comments and the poster...

SLA
How do I calculate SLA (specific leakage area)? A definition of it. What si it used for? Andy
1
1

we need this products following
We need this products. Please offre us from Bulgaria and Russia e-mail : OSB3, OSB2, OSB1 Nominal thickness (mm) 7, 9, 10, 11, 15, 1 Panel size (mm) 2440 X 1220

Fireplace Mantle backboard? Mounting Flatscreen?
With my trusty studfinder I located a 2x10 mounted flat against the drywall about 4-5 feet off the floor about the fireplace in this condo. Studs were 16 in on center above and below but then there is...

Downflow furnace filter question
Good afternoon. I am trying to clean and reinstall the filter on an older-model downflow furnace. I opened the access panel for the intake plenum, and found a pair of (very dirty) washable type...

Modular Homes
Hi Everybody, I am looking for an equipment to built a modular home plant, can somebody guide me to the right direction? Thank you
2
2

Bathroom ceiling tile install
Hi, My bathroom ceiling above the shower is moldy and the paint is bubbling. I would like to tile the whole ceiling and walls. Can I install directly on the painted ceiling? What do I need to do to...

saving water
I'm building a new house and want to incorporate money saving ideas into it. First, I like the concept of natural gas tankless water heaters. Second, I hate throwing water away waiting for the hot...
10
10

home remodeling question
what is the "customary", or "typical" procedure a homeowner would take when doing a project as a basement finishing, or remodel of say a wooden deck, or perhaps adding a room ? specifically, say Joe...
10
10

Replace Support Trilam
We've got a rectangular carport overhang which has become waterlogged and decayed. I would like to know the best way to replace a long span of Trilam which is about to snap. The overhang is...
2
2

starting with a blind eye
Im starting a construction business , I know the work and worked on residental houses , but now I've done a couple of commercial jobs , but the price is different. People tell me that what I...