Latest threads in Building Constructionshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Eroding Dirt Foundation of Concrete Slab
We had a slab built a few years ago and the builders simply built-up the earth to support a even slab, there are no concrete foundations...only dirt. The dirt is now eroding from around the perimeter...
6
6

Nat Gas to LP
Can a natural gas fireplace be converted to LP easily?
2
2

finishing basement floor question
poured concrete basement (walls & floor). saw other thread here w/gentleman asking questions about subfloors. out of courtesy, did not want to "hijack" the thread. question, instead of laying down a...
7
7

Paint strippers: Which brand is better?
I would like to strip the latex paint from around my window frames. Home Depot carries two gel strippers: 1- Motsenbocker's "Lift Off" 2- Citristrip Which one is better? Thanks! Deguza
7
7

Any experience here with solar panels or windmills?
I've been interested in potentially going a smidgeon more green, and was wondering if anyone here has any experience with solar panels (water warming, or even photo voltaic), and/or windmills. The...
49
49

Carpet to Tile transistion on Concrete
Finishing our basement and will have porcelain tile on the concrete floor that will have carpet up to it. How would the group recommend this transition?
2
2

Compact doors
What the verdict on these type of doors, folding doors
1
1

Which to build first? Walls or floors?
Finishing my full concrete basement. People I have spoken to tell me to build the walls first, then the subfloor. It seems to me that it would be much easier to lay down the entire subfloor and then...
11
11

choice of elevator
If you had to choose between the Concord Eclipse and the Thyssen Krupp Lev, which would you choose?
2
2

#6 ground wire directly to xformer?
Back when I used to install PBX's, the manufacturer REQUIRED a #6 (min.) ground wire be run from the PBX service panel in the PBX room to, with no taps, the xformer that provided the power. If we...
6
6

Little green airlines?
Forgive me if it has been asked before but I am new to this NG. I have noticed that a lot of the homes going up around my development have little green or white (air?) lines that run around the...
4
4

Greenhouse Swimming Pool Enclosure
I live is a wooded area that is relatively cool in Summer. I was thinking about a greenhouse type enclosure for the 16'x32' pool that will keep out the large amount of leaves and keep the...
1
1

installing radiant floor tubing in a slab-
wanting to lay tubing in my basement/sunroom slab so that one day when i can afford it, we can have radiant heated floors. the basement is basically 1200 square feet- so i'm wondering what the...
1
1

Max weight bear the side of a building
Please excuse for my lack of technical English here. In a building which is 15 meters wide, which is declared as being able to bear 500Kg per square meter, I suppose that this value refers to the...
4
4

Looking for a home contractor?
Check out Find local contractors fast. Appliance Installation and Repair Audio Video Installation Basement Finishing Cabinets & Countertops Carpentry Carpet Installation Cleaning Services Computer...