Latest threads in Building Constructionshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Hardie board siding weight
hello everyone. I have a solidly built 100 year ld house that needs new siding on the back only. I am wondering if 500 sq ft x 5 lb/sq ft = 2500 pounds on the back of the house could cause any...

Self storage suggestions
Hey folks, Can you please spare some of your valuable time to resolve my doubts? Guys, It was one of my long-term wishes to build a new home of my own, and I fulfilled my dream now. I'm planning to...
2
2

Concrete pour not square - Any advice appreciated!
I've just had a 6" concrete pour done for a small garage 18' x 14' and the X measurement is a massive 9 3/4 out. Trimming it square (if that's even possible) would mean loosing 7" and that just isn't...

Concrete slab not square - advice please!
I'm having a small 18' x 14' garage built and the 6" concrete pour is not square. The X measurement is, 9 3/4 " out. For it to be squared up by trimming I'd be loosing 7" and that just isn't going to...
1
1

Paramount Board
Can walls made from paramount board ever be load bearing. Original wall in a late1960’s house

Re: How to cut grooves in concrete sidewalk
In on Sat, 12 Dec 2020 18:01:02 +0000, Goalfooter <> wrote: I don't know what you mean. Don't people drive cars on the boulevard? They'll have to use their windshield wipers while the sprinklers are...
3
3

subfloor airbrick
Bungalow has a conservatory added. Simple concrete base. Bungalow has a subfloor void with subfloor airbricks to 2 opposing sides. One of these airbricks vents into conservatory so has been blocked. A...

roofing pipe vent boot seals, FYI
I never knew these needed to be replaced on a regular schedule. The roofer said every 5 to 10 years. Mine leaked. I am looking at a few weeks worth of work and a lot of money to fix the rotted wood....

Cabinets made of osb
We purchased cabinets made of osb. Would using Thompson water seal on the unfinished surfaces be a good idea.
1
1

Span of a truss
I have a 7/12 patch roof , 2x4 trusses, Queen post style, 24 ? o.c ... do I need a load bearing wall in the middle of the trusses are 30 ft long
1
1

Concrete core distance
Is there a certain distance you have to be away from a Hilti anchor to core a hole through a concrete floor ?

Gable truss wall load bearing?
I have a 2.5 car disconnected garage and connected to the garage is a porch. I would like to open up the wall between the porch and garage. I am trying to figure out if the wall is load bearing? The...

Compacting subbase for paver patio
Do it yourself I'm installing paver stone patio and got ahead of myself when putting in limestone sub base. I didn't compact in lifts and have between 9 to 10 inches spread out . will i still be okay...

Filling a pole with cement (2023 Update)
Well I listen to you alls coments on if filling a pipe with cement will make it stronger and I'm gunna try it. I put up a tetherball pole and when I hit the ball it wiggles and vibrates at the top of...
1
1

Removal of wood 8x8 post with rebar in it that is set in cement
My garage was damaged in a tornado Nd snapped off two wooden 8x8 posts in my garage. In order to reset posts the old posts need to come out, except that they have rebar running through the wood posts...