Latest threads in Building Constructionshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Choice of Impact Driver ?
I am trying to choose an impact drill (driver) that can install 10 inch Spax lag screws in pressure treated timbers. Although I would prefer a corded model, I find very few corded models on the...
18
18

building code question on plumbing
Just curious to know if plumbing for the house MUST always be routed under the foundation and up through the floors that way. Would it be allowed to have the inbound feed join the house on the outside...
6
6

planning ahead for the dome home
Hopefully, within the month, I will be on my way of building a geodesic dome home. The one I think I'm going to go with makes it simple. As it uses hubs and all you do is bolt straight cut lumber into...

Building Permits
Hi, Silly question perhaps... but would like input and opinions. - I had renovations done last summer to my bathrooms. The original contractor was let go after it became apparent that he was over his...
8
8

lumber by the truckload
Can anyone give me a ballpark figure on a truckload of lumber? Considering 2x6 10 foot boards, probably southern pine or so. How many pieces would I get?
3
3

wood versus cement weight capabilities
Curiosity mainly. Consider a 6"x6"x10' post made of douglas fir and the same dimensions in cement. Will the cement version hold more structural weight than the wood post? Can someone advise me just...
9
9

And one remained standing - earthquake resistant design
Pretty cool idea on how to deal with all of the shear forces and shaking.
3
3

terminology wanted
In the past 20 years or so the shift from standard floor support to wood based "beam" support is probably now the norm. What is the correct term for the type of support beams that uses a pair of 2x4's...
3
3

looking for type of ICF website
A few years ago I ran across this website that has a rather unique ICF block. Instead of just dumping cement in between two foam walls, this block has circular channels that literally create a pillar...
3
3

Build your own house the slick way - yourself!
this system I could easily build that gambriel barn home in no time. The video they show, shows one guy raising a barn HIMSELF! You build the frames on the ground, then using a hinged baseplate, lift...
7
7

Rule of Thumb for Natural Room Lighting
Our 18 x 36 foot family room has two west facing windows, each 36 & 72" in size. The span between the windows is about 15 foot. These windows are it for getting natural light to the room if the small...

gambriel style roofing
I'm going to be buying some property this week and one of the things that might work out well for this is a gambriel barn style home. I've seen some photos of interiors and kind of understand what all...
3
3

pyramid home building
I was curious to know if anyone had a website that discussed, in detail, the building of a pyramid home. NOT "pyramid" as in brand name, but as the shape. If there is one word that flusters google...
14
14

Latex or enamel for covered porch ?
I am sanding down a covered porch down to bare wood, and I am going to paint it. It is a "covered" porch in that it has a roof over it, but it is not fully protected, as it has open sides. So, it does...
5
5

Installing Ridge Vents Opposite to Storm Wind Direction
Ridge vents are normally installed with the downslope of the top shingle covers in the same direction as storm wind. Unfortunately, ours were installed backwards. As a result, a strong rain in a storm...
15
15