A little OT: Cleaning granite headstone

My mother's headstone has some tiny dark flecks in the area that was engraved. The engraved area is lighter in color and not polished to a high sheen like the rest of the stone.

It's 17 years old, so it does need a cleaning, but I don't want to use something that will damage or discolor the stone.

Any input is greatly appreciated!

Nan

Reply to
Nan

Hey Nan. I don't know how to clean a headstone, but I have granite countertops. I use Soft Scrub on tough spots. Just be sure to rinse. I also want to say that I'm sorry about your mom. I lost mine 34 years ago and sometimes it hurts like it was yesterday.

peggo

Reply to
peggo

My father-unit's and Sainted Mother's headstones are polished stone, too. The cemetery's caretaker suggested a drop of mild soap and cup water scrubbed with a soft-bristle toothbrush would erase the years and city grime from the recessed letters.

We perform this service every few years.

The Ranger

Reply to
The Ranger

We used a plastic-bristle brush and warm soapy water in a spray bottle to clean Mom's headstone (7 years) and Dad's headstone (18 years), then rinse with clear water. Avoid anything acidic.

Reply to
Phisherman

Thanks peggo, I'm sorry about your mom, too.

Nan

Reply to
Nan

Thanks Ranger. This almost looks like "bug dirt" or those specks that seem to show up on my vinyl-sided shed. A toothbrush should help scrub it off just fine.

Nan

Reply to
Nan

Thanks Phish, don't know why I didn't think of yours and Ranger's suggestions!

Nan

Reply to
Nan

Thanks.

peggo

Reply to
peggo

I'm sorry [and awed] to hear this. I gather you two had a wonderful relationship?

My mother and I were strangers. Her death didn't affect me much. I do remember thinking, "This is supposed to hurt!" Somehow, I resented the fact that it was painless.

I'm certain your mother would not want you to hurt so badly--but I suspect she would understand. Peace be with you.

_________________________ Some trees are ever green.

Reply to
Michael A. Ball

After several scrubbing and rinsing sessions, I've realized the discoloration is due to mildew. It looks a lot better than it did and I still need to use more elbow grease, but the mild dish soap in a spray bottle of water and toothbrush seem to be doing the trick.

Nan

Reply to
Nan

try using linsseed oil when i use to build fireplaces that is what i used to clean the slate or marble used for the hearths it also brings out the original colour george

Reply to
teleidwen

Thanks for the idea, George. I might give that a try!

Nan

Reply to
Nan