The third rail of IQ testing

IQ testing has been an issue in our hose over the years. This is not a bad article in three parts. Links to all three near the top of each page. Kinda makes me wonder when phrenology will make a come back.

Michael Bulatovich

...so has spill-checking lol

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

They can *reject* you?

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

A few phrenologists I have met over time have all had in common both an inferiority complex and the overwhelming need to feel some sort of both superiority and control over other people to compensate for their complexes. Can you imagine the creduity of some guy like that explaining sotto voce how someone is genetically not quite to the mark because of the shape of his oer her head? Now, imagine the irritation at being considered one of the phrenologist's presumed illuminati because of the shape of your own head. Do you want to be a part of that guy's in group?

Reply to
++

You've met more than one phrenologist?!

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

Through a relative, yes unfortunately. Accidentally a couple times, too. Strange bunch.

Reply to
++

I once had a guy who claimed he recently had kensho make a comment about the shape of my forehead in the hallway of a Buddhist 'temple', but that's as close as I ever got. I'm not even sure it was based on any theoretical underpinning.

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

Most of the "science" behind this was written in the 19th century.....When the pages of the cheap texts crumble from their acid content, ya gotta ask, why weren't these curiosities reprinted?

Reply to
++

I guess it's up to you... I have a book that you could use as a template, which I like for it's naivety factor:

Michael Bulatovich

A very strange site indeed.

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich
++ wrote in news:QKqdnb4F2Y- BTtTanZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@rcn.net:

Given that teh skull takes a couple of years to harden, and that, for example, ancient Meso-Americans (I think the Maya but check, because I don't recall) would bind the heads of infants so as to create an elongated shape, and as a second example, the "papoose", wherein an infant would be swaddled against a firm back, tended to give the babies' heads a flattened shape in the back, I do not at all comprehend how anyone can take phrenology seriously. Maybe, as an infant, someone just slept in a certain position most of the tiem, as opposed to someone else. It is such a crock of nonsense that it's not even funny.

Reply to
Kris Krieger

I think you're talking about the "Flatheads":

Oh, I don't know...being mistaken is one of the mainstays of comedic structure. As long as no one is about to get hurt by it, it's funny to me, but then again, so is most religion and the Standard Model. That doesn't stop most people from taking them very seriously.

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

"Michael Bulatovich" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news1.newsguy.com:

Seriously!

((For the r3cord, I do not ahve a flat head. I have a peaked head, nice pointy ridge on top. I was never any good at eraser tag...))

Reply to
Kris Krieger

Michael Bulatovich

"Michael Bulatovich" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news1.newsguy.com:

Mrebst, mrebst, not *that* pointy!

Reply to
Kris Krieger

I think there is a study suggesting that a slowly closing soft spot on an infant's skill is a good thing, it allows the brain to expand and that there are congenital deficits associated with binding or otherwise affecting skull shapes?

Reply to
++
++ wrote in news:pYCdnefB7NTLNtDanZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@rcn.net:

Exactly. Infant brains are huge in comparison to body size, but the brain still has to grow after that as part of th edevelopmental porcess. I don't recall exactly what the problems are that occur when the skull hardens too fast, but it's evidently cause for surgical intervention.

Reply to
Kris Krieger

If it's an accident then he isn't right.

Reply to
gruhn