Floating Offshore Windfarms

Each wind turbine has a buoyant trunk. The wind turbines are held together, to each other, by steel bars forming a rigid phalanx structure of wind turbines. The whole floating structure is firmly attached to the sea floor via cables. Similar to floating oil rigs firmly attached to the sea floor via cables. Floating offshore windfarms will supply energy to coastal communities.

Reply to
Rajah Homaba

Wind turbines are UGLY and they kill birds. I've been through Palm Springs, CA twice and it was 2 times too often.

Putting wind turbines off shore where no one can see them is a great idea.

In less than a week two really great big time ideas on energy have been posted here.

It's amazing what a 20% increase in gas prices will do.

Bret Cahill

Reply to
Bret Cahill

I think they are quite sculptural, interesting and peaceful to watch turn. So they really turn fast enough to kill a bird? I suspect no more than big glass windows.

I'm not sure they are going to be able to put them far enough off shore to not be visible, transmitting power back to land would be some distance and water depth would be incredible.

Reply to
Ron

Here is a photo of the Danish Hornsrev off-shore wind-farm, as it appears from the best vantage point on land (17 km distance, elevation

20 m).
Looked at from this vantage point, the whole structure of the wind-turbines is visible (but by no means would it be fair to say the wind-farm dominates the sea view.)

Here is another photo from the beach, distance 25 km, from where 23 m of the turbines are below the horizon, and 87 meters visible above it:

The Hornsrev wind farm is of capacity1 60MW and was built during summer

2002. More stuff about it here:
Torsten Brinch

150 years ago the whole landscape of most European countries, was dotted with windmills. They were not a problem then, so why should they be one now. You see cattle grazing underneath them. They take up very little pasture land. They can even be made to look like old fashioned windmills if that is what people want.
Reply to
News

150 years ago the whole landscape of most European countries, was dotted with windmills. They were not a problem then, so why should they be one now. You see cattle grazing underneath them. They take up very little pasture land. They can even be made to look like old fashioned windmills if that is what people want.
Reply to
News

People don't know what they want... They complain about fossil fuel fired power plants and scream for "sustainable" alternatives. Sustainable alternatives come along and people whine about the "spoiled landscape" and some dead birds. Somebody will complain about whatever the alternative to windmills comes along. You can't make them happy.

Methinks most of these people would prefer we go back to living in caves and grubbing for berries that have fallen to the forest floor.

Reply to
3D Peruna

Amazing the stories you can tell with lens selection.

Here is a photo from California where most of northern Europe is below the horizon.

gruhn

I couldn't see a damn thing. Next time you're taking a photo of europe would you tell that girl to get out of the way?

Reply to
Cato

Let's keep it that way, as I prefer a northern Europe view:

News

Ya know, I admit that it took me a while to notice that the first pic was of California. But the second is blatantly not of Europe or California... I think you should take the male optical illusion" test just to be sure your vision is OK.

Pierre Levesque, AIA

distance and

"spoiled

whatever

About off shore stuff to all.

Hibernia Oil platform (off coast of Newfoundland, the one the USAF wants to shoot a titan missile over), Mass= 1,200,000 tons ~ mass 12 CVN,s.

The displacement of Hibernia is about equal to all the USA's nuclear carriers combined.

In the 70's there were Global Security concerns (Global includes US and USSR national security) about putting reactors in India and Pakistan, canucks AECL went and subsidized them anyway, you know the rest.

At that time a viable was put forth, to maintain nuclear control but still electrify developing nations cheaply using nuclear power.

Ships in the >100,000 ton class, up to the

1,000,000 ton oil platform type rigs, specifically dedicated to be "portable nuclear generators" would be moored off shore and connected to the national grid by what is basically an extension cord.

There's no technical problem, USS Enterprise has numerous reactors operating without incident since

1960, lifespan 50 years.

It solves the NIMBY, solves the profliferation, solves the energy crunch, and can be removed if an emergency were to occur, and another subbed in, or the customer doesn't pay.

Most importantly, it doesn't harm birds:)

Why wasn't it done?

Try telling an influential and entrenched industry who knows how to put up concrete blocks on the ground that ship or sub based reactors really work. (Note the eyes glaze over look).

Regards Ken S. Tucker

Reply to
Ken S. Tucker

Reply to
Pierre Levesque, AIA

What the??? Have you been reading up on the NYSCC Stadium stuff or somethin' ???

Pierre Levesque, AIA

One wonders why the people who ask such questions bother to breathe.

Reply to
gruhn

Then there are the others that never open their eyes and go about there whole life hurting the environment with a huge smile on their face.

Reply to
John P. Bengi

There was only three words there and none of them have multiple meanings.

I am sure almost everybody has about the same understanding of

"hurting the environment"

I believe it means disturbing the earth in a manner that will eventually do a disservice to mankind.

Did you have another perceived meaning you can try to build some case with?

Reply to
John P. Bengi

I'll be willing to bet my definition is different from yours... Superfically not so much, but fundamentally profoundly different.

Yeah...that's a, nice & simple definition that doesn't take into account he law of unintended consequences.

No...but apparently you do....

Reply to
3D Peruna

Funny you should try so hard to hide.

Pretty hard for all of us to take a troll as yourself seriously.

Maybe try again with some reality in your words?

buh bye

Reply to
John P. Bengi

Me, a troll? LOL...