$700.00

No wonder they're broke all the time. Fatasses spend $700 more per year than non-fatasses on healthcare related items. Not including the coins required to keep their gigantic caves stuffed in the first place. Americans are literally eating themselves to death and sticking other people with the cost thereof. You can't go anywhere anymore without having the view blocked by giant fatasses. Was at Lowes and 2 side by side fatasses were blocking the entire aisle, had to turn around and go the otherway. They were so fat they couldn't even turnaround themselves. And all these fatasses wear slip-on type skids cause they can't reach down to tie regular shoes. Man, what the fuk is wrong wif these people?

Stick a gd fork in these mfr's, they're done. LOL

BTW: I wonder how this effects the housing industry, are larger sewer and septic systems necessary? What about shitters, is there a danger that a f***ss will sit down on a shitter and engulf the entire shitter in that bottomless dark cavern of dispair? I can see the newspaper headline now: EMT's remove man and entire house to emergency room for extraction.

How about 3' hallways in houses, are they now extinct? And stairs, can a giant f***ss navigate a set of stairs to the 2nd floor?

Perhaps bigger fridges are required to contain all the ingredients necessary to keep a f***ss functioning between litchen and couch. Speaking of couches, are the manuf's now putting springs from aircraft carriers in their couches?

Reply to
Don

Are you by chance....fat?

Reply to
Secretia Green

$700/year isn't much to be spent on health care these days. For just a normal doctor's visit, one can easily pay a several hundred dollars for the visit, a few tests and a prescription.

With this post, you have confirmed my negative opinion of you as a real jerk and now I can add an adolescent insensitive asshole.

Reply to
Jude***Alexander

More adolescent comebacks? ;)

Do you know how many times I've gotten your type of response. BIGOTS ALWAYS think that only one of a kind defends that kind. No, I'm not fat. I have two siblings who struggle with their weight and they, as well as anybody else, doesn't deserve your adolescent character hammering at them. You OBVIOUSLY are insensitive to others and like to play with other people's feelings like you're something special, like somebody died and made you god.

Reply to
Jude***Alexander

More adolescent retorts... ;)

Reply to
Jude***Alexander

"Don" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news1.newsguy.com:

Etc.

Well, FWIW, I recently learned that I have had sleep apnea. THere are 2 kinds, Obstructive and Central. Obstructive can usually be cured or at least greatly alleviated by losing weight. I have the other kind. What it is, is a malfunction, due to a defect of or, most commonly, injury to, the brainstem, such that it does not send proper automatic "time to breathe in" signals to the diaphragm.

The obstructive kind can be caused by obesity, but the Central kind can

*cause* obesity, because it screws up the metabolism and the ways in which the body handles the deposition of fat in the body. (It can also cause brian damage, stroke, heart attack, poor healing, and other things.)

For years, I put off having the sleep study because of the up-front costs. IOW, that "$700" (well, more, actually) that you talk about, because I had allowed myself to be convinced that I was "nothing more than" a weener asshole weakling, who couldn't summon the nergy to exercise enough and go back to living on the sort of semi-starvation diet my dear ol' "mom" had nme on as a kid.

Well, I got my CPAP jsut a couple days ago, and I am already up and about a lot more than I'd been able to previously. Yes, the weight I *did* put on over the past 20 yrs (for the 30+ years before that, I was able to stay fairly trim) is now my next challenge, but it will be alot easier now that I'm not in what turned out to be a constant state of hypoxia. I'm already less achy, more alert, more energetic, and so on.

Yeah, OK, it is true that diet control is amatter of will power, and some people don't want to exercise that will power - yeah, *some* people are just lazy. Many, however, don't know *how* to be strong and self- reliant; a great deal of personal strength or personal weakness does lie in one's upbringing, and sometimes, people *do* want to be better, but need some coaching, or even a lot of coaching. IMO, it is not exactly a great charcter trait to just kick people when they're down but *trying* to get up.

There are a lot of other factors that are major contributors to obesity, one being a widespread fundamental lack of knowledge of *scientific facts* about the body, metabolism, and nutrition. Adn another major factos is that parents who don't knwo those things tend to end up with kids who are malnourished, and often, *both* malnourished *and* obese. Proper nutrition has to start pretty much from birth - and even nursing, or not nursing, has a great influence - for example, mothers who don't eat vegetables while pregnant and nursing tend to have a hard time getting their infants to accept vegetables - because the flavor of the veggies tends to get into the milk, and kids who get them that way are accustomed to the flavors of vegetables. And kids raised on formula don't adapt to many flavors at all. Most people are woefuly ignorant about nutrition, and unfortunately, get duped into all sorts of absurd eating habits.

In any event, most people who are obese already know that they have increased medical problems which can create a financial burden. THey don't need to be told that. Or I guess that, technically, I ought to say

*we* don't need to be told that - even tho' I carry my weight "well" as they say, I *am* about 70 lbs overweight, and yup, that counts as obese.

I know I'm fat. I know that I have additional health exoenses (and other expenses) because of that. I'm not comfortable, I don't like the way I look, it's exacerbating the arthritis in my spine and knees and hips, and etc., and so on, and so forth.

I've done a major thing that should help me trim down, and that's my goal. So, personally, I don't really care one whit or tittle whether Don or somebody else chooses to point fingers and call me names and get their jollies by trying to make a mockery of me because I'm overweight. When I was a kid, I got mocked for being sickly; when I was a teen, I got mocked for having artistic and intellectual pursuits (heck, I couldn't do sports and ya gotta do *some*thing, eh?); when I was in college and then was working, I got mocked because I was "weird" (Asperger's and ADD). And so on. It used to bother me a lot, esp. since the worst of the mockers were in my own so-called "family". I was able to get over it, tho', and came to realize that people who need to get their jollies by mocking my current weight are no different from all those pathetic losers in the past.

What *is* sad is that a lot of obese people unfortunately have frail egos, and many react to mockery using the one stress-reaction they know: eating. So that social element is one more consideration for many people when it comes to trying to manage obesity.

Well, no big point - those are just my thoughts on the matter, FWIW ;)

Reply to
Kris Krieger

It can be caused by ministrokes, which are sometimes not detected, as well as larger strokes to the brainstem. What I do understand about strokes is that whatever got zapped is zapped permanently. But what the mind does with data is similar to the defragmented drive of a computer - there are pieces of data here and there, in places that might not have gotten zapped, so you can get back function you have lost and you can recover what you think was gone. So.....

But that is only one cause, and the cause with the worst prognosis. Have you noted the cause yet?:

.Have there been cases of horse encephalitis in which people are unaware they have it?

I hope it resolves itself.

++

?term=sleep+apnea&submit=Search

Reply to
++
++ wrote in news:cbSdnbpbI6Ja2QHbnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@rcn.net:

I suspect either too many childhood illnesses (almost threw the shoe when I was 2 due to some upper respiratory thing - I was one of the guinea pigs for tetracycline), or physical trauma as a child and young adult. I thankfully haven't had any of the things you noted. I've had both EKG and ECG (echocardiogram), and the ticker is, also thankfully, fine :)

I guess I'm just brain damaged =:-o At least I get some mileage for stupid jokes out of that

[ ... ]

Embarassingly enough, I have no idea...

Reply to
Kris Krieger
++ wrote in news:cbSdnbVbI6Ls2AHbnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@rcn.net:

Yikes! THat's a lot of info ;)

Reply to
Kris Krieger

"Don" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news5.newsguy.com:

It can be treated, but if it is Central rather than Obstructive, I don't think there is a "cure". Obstructive can sometimes be cured by surgically reducing the soft palate and uvula, but that's different.

Sounds like you ought to have a sleep study done and get a CPAP. It forces air into your nose - the airflow and pressure seem to stimulate the breathing signals.

Nope, it was a case of skimping so as to skim the food budget for $$ to spend on jewelry and other such crap.

That can actually make a big difference.

My outlook is something like, "There but for the grace of the Supreme Deity go I..."

Also, most of the cases I've seen of extreme obesity are *family* problems where, in some way, family (and/or friends) encourage and support the bad eating habits.

Overeating is at once a displacemnt activity, and a self-destructive act.

So, although I *have* personally known a couple grossly obese people who were stupid, lazy, and just plain gluttonous, I also know (from my admittedly brief education/experience in nursing, and my coursework in physiology, psychology, and sociology) ((not to "brag"!, just to point out exactly why I have certain ideas on the topic)) that the problem is often, if not mostly, quite a bit more complex than that.

Also, I feel personally obliged to *try* (albeit certainly not always successfully) to avoid being judgemental, because, although it's easy to judge obese people as being merely weak-willed, I can't legitimately claim that I'm qualified to make that judgement, since my own life has not exactly been stellar - and my indulgences in judgementalism have

*always* come back around in some way or another to bite me in the arse =:-o .

I know how hard it is now to lose my own 60 lbs (esp having crossed 50 =:-o ), so I really can't get on anyone else's case for havin gtrouble losing even more than that.

Ideally, of course, everyone involved with a child should an dwould take steps to try to reverse any trend towards obesity they saw a child developing - but yet another part of the problem is that this isn't happening. It's considered "cruel" to force a child to participate in physical activities, and that attitude i sexacerbate dby the fact that

*everything* now seems to be so damn competetive. IOW, kids don't seem tojust run around an dplay for *fun* any more; it all has to be some organized cometetive team sport thing, complete with unifroms and equipment and la-di-da - and, being win-oriented, kids who are not as physically capable are excluded.

THen again, as I've often said, a huge problem is of course that,for whatever reasons or excuses, a great many (?most?) people simply refuse to take responsibility for themselves. And when someone is indulging in self-destructive behaviors, that refusal precludes improvement.

So, yup, it's a mixed bag. But what's needed are solutions. Now, it might be that some sort of penalties will eventually be put into place, such as insurance companies refusing to offer coverage. But it'd be so much better if people can be encouragd and taught to avoid *becoming* obese.

But for now, I'm tired and sleepy. And all this talk abotu eating is making me hungry

Reply to
Kris Krieger

If your health plan pays for it, have your brain scanned, see if there is any minstroke activity shwoing on the films.

Mosquitos, usually in the south, in Florida for over a decade, cause the encephalitis which has sometimes as a side effect, effects on the brain. They were in the US slightly before or concurrent with Tiger mosquitos that cause West Nile. It's called horse sleeping sickness colloquially

++
++ wrote in news:rPednaGKpc8t5QPbnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@rcn.net:

[ ... ]

Well the serious answer is that I don't wan tot have unnecessary x-rays - this is a long-standing thing, which rules out tumors or active disease, and even if it's surgically repaiable, sleep apnea is not worth the risk, since the CPAP is doing a great job :)

THe silly answer, of course, is that I don't want any brian scan because all teh nuts, bolts, screws, and rusty springs would be revealed ;) !

Reply to
Kris Krieger

"Don" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news5.newsguy.com:

Actually, I read the Wikipedia article:

Some of his opinions (raw milk, microwaves) just strike me as goofy - I'm educated in, and fairly well-informed about, the sciences in general, emphasizing human biology and physiology. THere is no way anyone can convince me that homeopathy ios anything more than a placebo - I also have a decent background in aromatherapy, as well as botany, enough to glean out false claims from the fact that many phytochemicals do exhibit demonstrable physiological actions in the body - and that not all of those actions are beneficial.

A lot of the common-sense dietary info (whole grains rather than processes grains and refined starches, for example) are in no way unique to him. It is also well known, and has been for quite some time, that fish oil raises the levels of HDL ("good cholesterol") in the body.

I also have, through family members, access to the workings of the pharmaceutical industry - for *both* ill and good. Yes, there are problems with it, but I'm also rather fed up with the rabid demonization which I see. And yes, the FDA is imperfect, but it works better than he gives it credit for.

In the end, tho', nobody should ever take all their helath info, or even the majority of it, from one source. Yes, it is important to consider the input of people who are well-educated in health matters, but it's also important to remember that being well-educated does NOT make one professional an expert at everything.

I also retain skepticism for people who say "XYZ is great for your health", and *then* turns around and hawks their own personal product that promotes XYZ. I looked through a number of the product listings, and thanks but I will stick with the USP (United States pharmacopea) standardized and US-produced supplements that I take.

I most especially have no interest whatsoever in someone who uses the word "miracle" when describing their own products or the components thereof.

There is no such thing as a "miracle" food or supplement - sound nutritional information based upon the facts of human physiology and biochemistry. The principles of good health are basic - moderate exercise, minimal processing of food, minimizing the risk of bacterial or viral contamination of food, reasonable level of supplementation (since the world of work makes msot people too sedentary to burn off all the food they'd need to get an optimal level of nutrients), avoidance of pollution, reduction of stress. No mystery...

Reply to
Kris Krieger

MRI does not expose you to ionizing radiation. I'm careful myself since I was nuked periodically as a kid.

It will give a basis image that might come in handy later, for changes.

Reply to
++