KunstlerCast: León Krier

Hey. Where exactly are you living now? You're in eastern Canada, right?

RicodJour

Hi Rico. Yes, east coast, Nova Scotia, temporarily in Liverpool-- almost a = non-town, a kind of glorified bus stop. But the surrounds are very nice and= quiet too. What a difference from the city. =20 I might have mentioned hoping to settle in Shelburne, just south of here. It's a lovely little town and suits me fine. If all goes well, I'll be ther= e again this July for the Tall Ships festival and a few other things... lik= e trying again to find the surveyor's property-corner pegs among the mosqui= toes. Tips welcomed (not the mosquitoes, the pegs). ;) (I've been nowhere near a tall ship before, so it's kind of exciting.)=20

Incidentally, I recently downloaded SketchUp Pro and found a very nice ship= ping container 3D model on Google 3D Warehouse, although you are probably a= little beyond that now I imagine or like me have limited time at the momen= t. In any case, I've given Sketchup and the container a spin and have both on = hand.

Apparently you wanted to move somewhere yourself if recalled?

Reply to
glomerol

a non-town, a kind of glorified bus stop. But the surrounds are very nice a= nd quiet too. What a difference from the city.

ere again this July for the Tall Ships festival and a few other things... l= ike trying again to find the surveyor's property-corner pegs among the mosq= uitoes. Tips welcomed (not the mosquitoes, the pegs). ;)

ipping container 3D model on Google 3D Warehouse, although you are probably= a little beyond that now I imagine or like me have limited time at the mom= ent.

6 years hence, the biggest thing I've noticed is what you are able to accomplish when the burden of what other people call *society* is cast aside. There really is a Matrix and it is very deceptive and costly, and I'm not speaking of dollars and cents though that is costly as well. Mainly, I am speaking of the only life you will ever own, and squandering it on someone else's version of how you should live it.

Our green bean vines are about 20" high right now and the tomato plants are about 5' tall. All the other things are progressing nicely too. Rain has been sparse so I have been lugging (2) 5 gallon buckets of water from Muff's pond across the road each evening. The vegetable garden is small but efficient and though the cost was high at first, over the long view it is insignificant. We expect to pull $400 (retail value) worth of food out of this little

10'x10' project and we expect to expand it and make it more efficient next year. I think of it as a big 8th grade science project with potential benefits as well as a hobby.
Reply to
creative1986

a non-town, a kind of glorified bus stop. But the surrounds are very nice a= nd quiet too. What a difference from the city.

ere again this July for the Tall Ships festival and a few other things... l= ike trying again to find the surveyor's property-corner pegs among the mosq= uitoes. Tips welcomed (not the mosquitoes, the pegs). ;)

ipping container 3D model on Google 3D Warehouse, although you are probably= a little beyond that now I imagine or like me have limited time at the mom= ent.

Regarding the finding of property pegs. Get an accurate survey. Use google earth to grab a shot of the property. If the property is on a paved road many times there is a rusty steel pin in the center of the road at the property corners. Import the google earth shot into autocad and using the dimensions on the survey draw the property lines right on the image. Print the dwg out, grab a 100' tape measure and go find them.

Reply to
creative1986

t a non-town, a kind of glorified bus stop. But the surrounds are very nice= and quiet too. What a difference from the city.

there again this July for the Tall Ships festival and a few other things...= like trying again to find the surveyor's property-corner pegs among the mo= squitoes. Tips welcomed (not the mosquitoes, the pegs). ;)

shipping container 3D model on Google 3D Warehouse, although you are probab= ly a little beyond that now I imagine or like me have limited time at the m= oment.

Thanks, Don, I'll give it a try and let you know how it goes.

Reply to
permaea

t a non-town, a kind of glorified bus stop. But the surrounds are very nice= and quiet too. What a difference from the city.

there again this July for the Tall Ships festival and a few other things...= like trying again to find the surveyor's property-corner pegs among the mo= squitoes. Tips welcomed (not the mosquitoes, the pegs). ;)

shipping container 3D model on Google 3D Warehouse, although you are probab= ly a little beyond that now I imagine or like me have limited time at the m= oment.

Good to hear and my best regards with that. Let us know how it goes. Speaking of whom, it's probably a little like the settings of Kunstler's bo= ok, 'World Made by Hand'. (which I've not read)

Reply to
permaea

[...]

I try to make it a point to read Kunstlers blog every Mon when he updates, or Tues at the latest - he's quite the cunning linguist. Funny to see him evolve, finally. The things I told him 10 years ago are starting to make sense. There may be a place for him after all in the new world made by hand. :-) (but he might have to lay the pencil down and learn which end of shovel gets the most work done)

Reply to
creative1986

lmost a non-town, a kind of glorified bus stop. But the surrounds are very = nice and quiet too. What a difference from the city.

be there again this July for the Tall Ships festival and a few other thing= s... like trying again to find the surveyor's property-corner pegs among th= e mosquitoes. Tips welcomed (not the mosquitoes, the pegs). ;)

ice shipping container 3D model on Google 3D Warehouse, although you are pr= obably a little beyond that now I imagine or like me have limited time at t= he moment.

s book, 'World Made by Hand'. (which I've not read)

Ah cool. I prefer him in audio format :) (and wish he could recite/record h= is blog entries) so listen to his podcast. Last fall, around November-- a couple of months after my own small-town mov= e-- he moved to Greenwich Village apparently. I just listened to Lifeboat H= our where he was interviewed. He mentions his garden I think, so presumably= , there's a shovel involved. ;)

Reply to
Warm Worm

non-town, a kind of glorified bus stop. But the surrounds are very nice and quiet too. What a difference from the city.

again this July for the Tall Ships festival and a few other things... like trying again to find the surveyor's property-corner pegs among the mosquitoes. Tips welcomed (not the mosquitoes, the pegs). ;)

shipping container 3D model on Google 3D Warehouse, although you are probably a little beyond that now I imagine or like me have limited time at the moment.

A metal detector works well. Ken

Reply to
Ken S. Tucker

ost a non-town, a kind of glorified bus stop. But the surrounds are very ni= ce and quiet too. What a difference from the city.

e there again this July for the Tall Ships festival and a few other things.= .. like trying again to find the surveyor's property-corner pegs among the = mosquitoes. Tips welcomed (not the mosquitoes, the pegs). ;)

e shipping container 3D model on Google 3D Warehouse, although you are prob= ably a little beyond that now I imagine or like me have limited time at the= moment.

I thought about that and thanks, but there are some complications with it i= t seems.

Reply to
Warm Worm

a non-town, a kind of glorified bus stop. But the surrounds are very nice a= nd quiet too. What a difference from the city.

ere again this July for the Tall Ships festival and a few other things... l= ike trying again to find the surveyor's property-corner pegs among the mosq= uitoes. Tips welcomed (not the mosquitoes, the pegs). ;)

Tall ships are cool.

The reason I was asking about where you were in Canada is that I'm planning a New England trip and wanted to see how far it was to where you are. Answer - far! Doubtful that I'll be able to get up to NS. Are there any ferries from Maine to NS?

ipping container 3D model on Google 3D Warehouse, although you are probably= a little beyond that now I imagine or like me have limited time at the mom= ent.

Please post a link to that container model. SketchUp is fun, isn't it? I recently upgraded and I have yet to see how the newer version of Layout works, but it's gotta be an improvement of the the one from SU v6.

I've taken the show on the road. I think I mentioned it a while back

- maybe not - but I bought a classic 1977 GMC motorhome and I'm a pelegrino/stranieri/gypsy. Currently I'm out on the east end of Long Island, NY to take a look at a friend's beachfront property. I'm consulting to see if I can fix what the idjit artichoke he hired spewed out. Truly a laughable design with huge amounts of wasted space and expensive-for-no-reason/benefit construction.

RicodJour

I've been working off of some famous artichoke plans that indicate the doers need to be banned, on some very expensive gov't buildings. Frankly, I am shocked at what is getting built these days. And, I had no idea things had gotten as bad as they had in this regard in the past 30 years since I worked with the big guys. A friend coined the term *hot potato* the other day regarding how responsibility is passed back and forth among the participants with everybody trying to avoid a lawsuit and still manage to make some money. Appalling.

Reply to
creative1986

check out a story about re-furbishing Washington's Monument...

700,000/yr visitors for 8 puny windows! Tear down the old thing down, sell pieces as souvenirs (or the whole thing), and build something with class, like more than 8 windows! The CN tower went up el cheapo, but it's really nice, a good rotating restaurant, the US needs 'New AND Improved', kick them yanks into hi gear. Ken
Reply to
Ken S. Tucker

I'll bring my camera and go onboard. =20

I just got back from Halifax and asked the bus driver:=20 According to him, there was a ferry serving Yarmouth to Maine, but it got c= ancelled, but there still seems to be a ferry running from (St. John?) New = Brunswick to Digby(?), Nova Scotia. If you wish, I will try to confirm that= . There may be some info online too.

20':
40':

You might be disappointed to know that I've only so far used SketchUp for f= ile conversion to ACAD and reverse-designed/"engineered" the models which m= anifest as discrete surface elements instead of solid volumes which seem to= take up less memory/processing power. Maybe I'm going about it the wrong w= ay, and I'd love to learn SU, but already have enough on my plate for now.

I have the most recent one and maybe I should learn it, but dislike having = to keep learning new things all the time, especially if/when they become ob= solete and/or less useful.

So it's like you have a mobile office in an almost-rock-star bus. Not bad. = ;)

Reply to
Warm Worm

If there's anyway at all you can get into a small boat and take some pictures from the waterline, that'd be worthwhile. You get a much better sense of the scale of things, and you almost can't help but get good pictures...plus those nasty tourist critters aren't always in the way. ;)

cancelled, but there still seems to be a ferry running from (St. John?) Ne= w Brunswick to Digby(?), Nova Scotia. If you wish, I will try to confirm th= at. There may be some info online too.

Okay. First one to find the information gets bragging rights!

I downloaded them and I'll take a look at them a bit later. Thanks for the links.

file conversion to ACAD and reverse-designed/"engineered" the models which= manifest as discrete surface elements instead of solid volumes which seem = to take up less memory/processing power. Maybe I'm going about it the wrong= way, and I'd love to learn SU, but already have enough on my plate for now= .

SketchUp almost requires you to unlearn things from AutoCAD. You'll be unlearning bad habits foisted upon you by Autodesk.

g to keep learning new things all the time, especially if/when they become = obsolete and/or less useful.

I've been using SketchUp since version 4. I haven't had to unlearn a single thing and the underlying engine works the same. The inference engine is stellar.

...almost...? You wound me.

RicodJour

Right now I am delving into Sketchup (8) for the 3rd time since it was originally released way back when. Each time I get very frustrated because don't work the way I think they should. sigh I grabbed a bunch of video tutorials but even those give me problems. Why in the world can they not put optional labels on the tool buttons? sheesh

Reply to
creative1986

Yes, I know, and it takes infinately longer to wait on that as opposed to just seeing the name right off. I made my own toolbar and some of the buttons in acad and there are no labels because I've been using it for so long I know where everything is. Sketchup ought to provide labels and the ability to turn them off later if so desired, you know like the BIG buttons have names and the little buttons don't.

Reply to
creative1986