Latest threads in Architecture and Designshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

strawbale construction
Does anyone have any information on strawbale construction in the tropics? All the info I have seen pertains to dry, temperate climates. I would like to know if anyone has attempted it and how durable...
1
1

My Mistake
It was NOT the pawlonia, a wonderful tree from, obviously, Poland that is a dangerous invader but the Tree of Heaven (different oriental related idea in my brain?) Tree of Heaven */Ailanthus altissima...
5
5

Anyone know the author?
like his rant. My town is always after "The Wow Moment". Page of the Month
1
1

The Architect
I never heard of this: Anyone see it? iTunes Movie Trailers Directed by Matt Tauber. With Anthony LaPaglia, Viola Davis, Isabella Rossellini, Hayden Panettiere. An architect engages in conflict with...
13
13

FA Architecture in Oxford Stone 1931
The Story of Architecture in Oxford Stone by E A Greening Lamborn 1931 Press 288 pages. Interesting old architecture book with the emphasis on work in Oxford Stone.

If you think structural lumber is bad now...
..wait until this stuff takes over the forests: Scientists are using a controversial genetic engineering process to change the composition of the wood in the hopes of turning trees into new energy...
11
11

Ping Plus Plus
I was cleaning out my favorites/bookmarks and came across this: heard of him? COV&R Start
1
1

got two South Bank lamposts
hi got tw o of these in my garden, say about 4.5metre high just wonder if they are of interest to anyone? erected 1953 when the house built, still work perfecly but as i live in a bungalow they would...

Re: Heating pad
Hi, Since her porch is semi-heated, maybe she only needs to build a closet around her washer/dryer and insulate it, and place another heater inside. If she wants to go to greater expense, then she...
15
15

Re: Wrong drawings
Shouldn't that read: I did all 4 years honorably without ever getting caught doing dishonorable things. I was never caught and arrested for drunk driving. I never got caught hiring people to kill...
2
2

Re: Concealing the bottom of the kitchen cabinets
It can be done, but it's not a great option. Maintenance, functionality and aesthetics could be better addressed in other ways than an extra deep toe kick. How about changing the question to -...
8
8

When buildings stopped making sense
"John Silber's 'Architecture of the Absurd'...is a thoughtful argument against the excesses of 'designer' architects and urban-planning utopians. Mr. Silber, the former president...
8
8

Internal Air Quality
I was wondering if there was much happening these days with respect to improving the air quality in homes? Inner-city homes that is. The amount of dust and road soot that settles on my floors (esp....

The third rail of IQ testing
IQ testing has been an issue in our hose over the years. This is not a bad article in three parts. Links to all three near the top of each page. Kinda makes me wonder when phrenology will make a come...
18
18

home calculator
Hi, i'm looking for a software for 3d house design, and a calculator for all building materials (wood) needed to build it. Thank you Bonjour, je recherche un logiciel qui permet de dessiner un...
1
1