New Hardwood floor install gone bad.

New premium grade 3/4" x 1 1/2" red Oak hardwood. I purchased it directly from the wholesaler. My flooring was delivered Oct. 22, 2017. After much delay on the installers part I was able to walk on my "finished" floor 90 Days later. I chose an extremely light color so that it would match my existing 40 year old hardwood. The contractor said that they would rent the polyurethane. The color turned out well. Problem is when I began inspecting the floor. There are spots where I can feel the grain of the wood. Nail holes without anything in them. Random black staple shaped holes that are not filled. Face nailed boards 10" out and up to the wall. Random face nailed boards in a 1" x 1" area where I was told there was a squeak and they had to nail it down. Transitions from the kitchen to the living room and from the living room to the hall are missing. Contractor says the work is finished. I thought that I wasn't suppose to be able to feel the wood grain and that face nailing which leaves nail holes were supposed to be that far out from the wall. In addition random unfilled holes I believe may lead to water damage later if not taken care of. I need some advise. The contractor is asking to be paid.

Reply to
Anonymous

What does "rent the polyurethane" mean? As for the other issues, photo-document all the conditions you find questionable and document where each occurs. Be in the mindset of being so clear and so specific that if you handed the documentation to someone unfamiliar with it (like a small claims court judge) they'd understand perfectly without you saying anything.

Take one set of this documentation and give it to the installer and let him know you have additional copies. Tell him he will be paid after you've had the fixes repaired and subtract the cost of the fixes from his agreed price.

Get quotes, from at least three other installers, the cost of making repairs and installing the transitions. Pick one. Get the fixes performed. Send original installer payment minus the cost of the fixes.

When an original contractor messes-up there's no reason to expect him to suddenly get it right. If a surgeon messes-up your surgery, would you really want him to be the one to try to fix it?

Reply to
rjamesolson