Mini-Rivers in my basement (2023 Update)

Hey there! First time poster and first time homeowner here. Bear with me, because I'm a beginner! Here are the facts and the factors: Our house was built about 70 years ago. There are some funky things that the builders and previous owners did, so this might be "fun". Our basement has always had a mild leak that comes from where the wall meets the floor (the front door/steps are on the other side, one floor up). That little river doesn't cause much trouble, it just trickles into our basement drain. We had a bit of a storm a few nights back, and that seems to have done SOMETHING, because on the opposite sides of the house, we suddenly got a lot more than a little trickle. Miniature lakes, about a half-inch to an inch deep started filling in from little rivers from the outside. The basement was half-finished when we got it, and the water's just running underneath drywall, saturating it. Also, much to our dismay, the floor isn't graded right, so none of the water on the other side flows into the basement drain. That means that I spend about an hour every morning and evening with a sponge and a bucket... It's possible that the leaky gutters and poorly graded soil on the outside are contributing, but surely that can't be the cause, right? I understand that it MIGHT be an issue that requires waterproofing the basement, but I'm looking to see if anyone here has any wisdom that might help me not spend another 10k on this house.

I'm wishing you guys a happy day!

Cheers, Mick!

Reply to
Mick

a few steps you can take to try and fix a mild leak in your basement where the wall meets the floor:

  1. Check the exterior of your home for cracks or gaps in the foundation. If you find any, seal them with a waterproofing compound.

  1. Check the grading of the soil around your home. Make sure that the soil slopes away from the foundation, to help prevent water from seeping in.

  2. Install a drain tile system around the perimeter of your basement. This will help to channel water that does get in towards the basement drain, preventing it from pooling on the floor.

  1. Check that your gutters and downspouts are functioning properly. If they are clogged, water may be overflowing and seeping into your basement.

  2. If all of these steps fail to fix the problem, you may want to consider installing a sump pump. This is a device that pumps water out of your basement, preventing it from flooding.

6.If you have a French drain installed in your basement, make sure it is functioning properly. A French drain is a trench filled with gravel or rock that is installed around the perimeter of a basement to collect and channel water away from the foundation.

All of the steps above are relatively cheap and can be done DIY. However, if the problem persist you may need to hire a professional to check the walls and the foundation and determine the best course of action.

Reply to
HOH_Advisor