I keep getting electrocuted (2023 Update)

I would suggest starting to plan the move out. If the landlord is so dismissive of a potentially life-threatening hazard, makes you wonder what else can they be lax about.

There may be a number of issues there, including issues with the apartment wiring as well as the internal wiring of the appliance. There may be a cord that the appliance could be standing on that will get "chewed" through the insulation with time. There can be an number of things gone wrong, any one of which requires immediate electrician's attention.

I would suggest that you stop using the stove and call the electrician yourself, immediately, then present the invoice to the landlord for payment. It's your life on the line after all. Good luck with resolving the situation.

Reply to
homeowners

I have an electric stove/ sink / fridge combo in my apartment I've never seen anything like it, when I'm cooking I get electrocuted while using a metal spoon to stir the boiling water. What's the matter I asked my landlord he didn't see any problem with it

Reply to
Bean

Sounds like you have a ground issue in your electric range. Here's how you fix it. Call your landlord over and have him cook something for you. Make sure you turn the stove up on high for him so he understands better. It sounds like you may need to have your electric stove checked for grounding issues.

Reply to
disqus_v6BeD5ztq5

It sounds like there may be a problem with the electrical wiring in your kitchen. It's not normal to get electrocuted while cooking, and it could be a serious safety hazard.

Here are some steps you can take to troubleshoot the issue:

  1. First, make sure that all appliances are properly grounded. This includes the stove, sink, and fridge. Check for any frayed or exposed wires and make sure that the outlets are properly grounded.
  2. Check the electrical circuit that your kitchen is on. Make sure that it is not overloaded, and that the circuit breaker is not tripped.
  3. Inspect the wiring in the walls and ceilings. Look for any signs of damage, such as frayed or exposed wires. If you find any, contact an electrician right away.

Here's a list of tools you may need to troubleshoot the issue:

  • Volt-ohm meter
  • Electrical tape
  • Screwdrivers

It is important to note that if you do not have experience in electrical work, it is best to contact a professional electrician to assess and repair the issue. It is also important to inform your landlord about the issue and ask him to take the necessary actions to fix it.

Reply to
HomeOwnersHub Advisor