Drilling a concrete load bearing pillar?

Drilling a concrete load bearing pillar? open original image

Hi there,

I live on the 4th floor of a purpose built (6 floors in total), I have a circular concrete pillar in one corner of my living room (see pic attached) and I'l like to fit a few shelves around it. I won't be putting a lot of load on these no more than say 1-1.5kg.

I'm thinking of drilling small holes in it to fit the shelves, but I kind of feel a little bit anxious about it, so before I make the whole building collapse (!), can I have some advice from qualified or experienced members?

Many thanks for your contribution.

Carine

Reply to
Carine

No, you should not do anything to that pillar or the structure and you shouldn't do anything without written Landlord Approval. What you should do is build a freestanding shelf unit (with legs) around the pillar.

- Or, you can tightly clamp (screw together) a wood, steel or aluminum girdle around the pillar and hang shelving from the girdle. The pillar stays unaffected and you can make the shelves as large and strong as you want.

- Concrete ain't easy nor reliable to put a bunch of screws into. It commonly hates any kind of movement of the fasteners in it and spits them out.

Reply to
Anonymous