ceiling fan

trying to put up.a ceiling fan..only copper and black wires from ceiling...what do I do withe the white neutral wire from the fan

Reply to
HelpMe

Just don't connect it. Or, I've heard of people connecting it to the copper (ground) wire too, along with the fan's ground/green (I don't recommend it). Not connecting it, means you won't get full Circuit Breaker protection...but it wasn't ever there before anyway. Not proper, but not illegal.

- Connecting it to the copper/ground wire means you can get full Circuit Breaker protection, but now create a fire and shock hazard/guarantee, since the copper is un-insulated that can Arc or Short most anywhere. VERY BAD!

- Your final option is to find the white wire at the switch or outlet that the power's being supplied from and run a white wire to the fan. If that isn't found, then you'll need to run a white wire all of the way back to the Electric Panel. Meaning, you and future occupants would be best served by hiring an Electrician to re-wire that circuit.

Reply to
Anonymous