cast iron victorian downpipe joins

Oneofthetwo's Avatar (by Gravatar) by Oneofthetwo in  Yard » Storm Water

Should the joins between lengths of cast iron victorian downpipes be left "unfilled"? We have a downpipe that had a couple of problems, one being that it was not straight. In addition, the lower, "outer" part of the downpipe was installed with the very bottom stuck into a replacement plastic drain. Whilst "fixing" the wonky upper part of the pipe, the repairers lifted the lower part above the drain, leaving a gap of around 5cm between the bottom of the pipe and the drain. Should we fix a "shoe" to the bottom of the downpipe? But, should the upper part of the pipe remain loosely fitting into the lower part of the pipe?
click to open the full size version of the image

blog comments powered by Disqus