cast iron victorian downpipe joins

Should the joins between lengths of cast iron victorian downpipes be left "unfilled"? We have a downpipe that had a couple of problems, one being that it was not straight. In addition, the lower, "outer" part of the downpipe was installed with the very bottom stuck into a replacement plastic drain. Whilst "fixing" the wonky upper part of the pipe, the repairers lifted the lower part above the drain, leaving a gap of around 5cm between the bottom of the pipe and the drain. Should we fix a "shoe" to the bottom of the downpipe? But, should the upper part of the pipe remain loosely fitting into the lower part of the pipe? [IMG]

Oneofthetwo