Homeowners' Hub Questions and Answers

listing options: FAQ |  answered |  unanswered |  recent |  oldest

Is there connection between twisting floor joists and cracks in wall on 2nd floor?

Jonathan's Avatar (by Gravatar) by Jonathan in  General Construction

I purchased my first home about 7 months ago. It was built in 1991. At time of inspection the inspector pointed out some  ... read more »

This question has been answered 1 time. Add your answer today!

Pouring concrete without sand or gravel?

Hamilton, TX guy's Avatar (by Gravatar) by Hamilton, TX guy in  Masonry » Concrete »

Built my own home but neglected to consider wind driven rain coming in the front/side doors. So I cannot put my wood flooring  ... read more »

This question has been answered 1 time. Add your answer today!

where to find a patio umbrella with a threaded bottom on the poll for my patio which has a fixed hole for the placement of the umbrella?

i have a patio that has a built into the patio hole for the placement of a patio umbrella. so i am not n need of a base.  ... read more »

This question has been answered 1 time. Add your answer today!

storing paint for 1 yr or more

herb1's Avatar (by Gravatar) by herb1 in  Painting »

1/2 gal of paint stored upside down for 1 yr. It was hard when I opened it recently. How can I store paint for over a year  ... read more »

This question has been answered 1 time. Add your answer today!

Squaring an existing building

Anonymous's Avatar (by Gravatar) by Anonymous in  Carpentry »

I have an old garage building that we moved and it's out of square. What's the best way to square it. It's 12 x 16 and  ... read more »

This question has been answered 1 time. Add your answer today!

Floor boards for deck

My new deck will be 16 ft. wide by 24 ft. long. Will it be okay to run the boards lengthwise (the 24 ft. length)? My joists  ... read more »

This question has been answered 1 time. Add your answer today!

Bulging soding

We have a vertical bulge from ground to ceiling that doesn't give when pressed. Does anyone know what this is?  ... read more »

This question has been answered 1 time. Add your answer today!

Chemical or corroded metal smell in the bathroom

Anonymous's Avatar (by Gravatar) by Anonymous in  Bathroom »

Hi. First of all this is a condo not a house top floor and no attic. I had a strange issue. Smell in 2 bathrooms one  ... read more »

This question has been answered 1 time. Add your answer today!

Neighbor's swale is flooding my yard

I have a home in Ohio that sits in the middle of a long sloping hill. My neighbor on the high side has a swale that drains  ... read more »

This question has been answered 1 time. Add your answer today!

Sewer line damaged by telephone company cable

Due to numerous times that the sewer backed up into the house we worked with a plumbing company that said the sewer line  ... read more »

This question has been answered 1 time. Add your answer today!

Light switch sparked

Dillonlabrune 's Avatar (by Gravatar) by Dillonlabrune in  Energy » Electrical » Lighting »

I made the mistake of working on a light switch live a hot wire touched the switch for the fan and sparked and now half  ... read more »

This question has been answered 1 time. Add your answer today!

Roof replacement and foundation repair

Anonymous's Avatar (by Gravatar) by Anonymous in  General Construction

Hi everyone I own a condo in a ~80 year old 2-story brick building. Over the past few decades one corner of the building  ... read more »

This question has been answered 1 time. Add your answer today!

Hanging a porch swing

Shirley's Avatar (by Gravatar) by Shirley in  Carpentry »

Can I hang a porch swing on a ceiling truss that's 2x6 and 8' long  ... read more »

This question has been answered 1 time. Add your answer today!

Ceiling Fan light kit issue

I just purchased a new ceiling fan with light kit to replace a ceiling fan that didn't have a light. This is an old house  ... read more »

This question has been answered 1 time. Add your answer today!

Kew 1500 Hobby

Anonymous's Avatar (by Gravatar) by Anonymous in  Tools and Equipment » Pressure Washers »

My rather old Kew 1500 Hobby pressure washer has been playing up recently taking some time for the pressure to build up  ... read more »

This question has been answered 1 time. Add your answer today!

Fordham shower door spares

first time of doing this so i hope i get it right i am carrying out a repair job on a customers shower cubicle and it  ... read more »

This question has been answered 1 time. Add your answer today!

Paint storage

Anonymous's Avatar (by Gravatar) by Anonymous in  Painting »

What's the best way to store paint for over a year?  ... read more »

This question has been answered 1 time. Add your answer today!

Squirrel cage on inside unit of heat pump not working for heat

Scottyrayntn 's Avatar (by Gravatar) by Scottyrayntn in  Climate Control » Heating »

My inside unit works on cool the squirrel cage comes on automatically. It also comes on when I turn it to fan on the thermostat.  ... read more »

This question has been answered 1 time. Add your answer today!

looking for replacement batteries for my 18 v cordless drill

Anonymous's Avatar (by Gravatar) by Anonymous in  Tools and Equipment » Power Tools »

i have an 18v viper cordless tool set and like these products however my batteries are dead and i cant find replacements  ... read more »

This question has been answered 1 time. Add your answer today!

Huge long shot but can anyone identify this water tank or give a rough age?

http://imgur.com/a/zDgBK Thank you!  ... read more »