5 yr o Goodman GSH 130241A , split. Had no trouble till 3 wks ago. Just turned it on and it wouldn't cool. Inside coils don't get warm. Ins

Inside/outside fans run. All fins, and coils are clean. Switched upstairs/downstairs thermostat "plug in" cover/control (Honeywell) , no effect. Suctioned condensate drain. Some water, then dried material. Can't find a water detection shut off mechanism (pan or drain). Bought a multitester. Logical here thought I could wing it. Good science background, but not in this. Remembered famous last words: "Hold my beer and watch this." So I just put the thing in a drawer, and here I am.

Reply to
San Antonio Sweatin'

Well, Goodman GSH 130241A is a heat pump and the inside coil could be warm but not in the cooling cycle. For it to be actually cooling the house the HP should be in Cool mode and the inside coil should be cold, not warm. The <i>outside</i> coil should be warm. So, is the thermostat in the "Cool" mode? I know this is probably too basic, but I just wanted to get this out of the way so we can look at actual potential issues.

You have two identical thermostats for 2 heating/cooling zones and you swapped them in their plastic cradles with contacts on the back to eliminate a possible thermostat malfunction - did I get this right?. So, do you have two outside units / two inside air handlers then or is it one and the zones are controlled by damper valves?

Have you shut the power down to all parts of the system (indoor, outdoor, 24V control transformer if on different circuit) at the house breaker panel, waited a few minutes, restored the power and observed what happens? Any changes?

The outside fan runs. Do you hear the compressor (below the fan) hum, too? Any suspicious noises? Does the compressor start to run, then goes off? Do you leave it on "cool" like that for a long time, even though it's not cooling?

So, there are few more things you can check before someone needs to hold your beer :)

Reply to
homeowners
  Turns out it was capacitor-failure. Your assumptions about identical thermostats and two units were correct.   Part of my problem all along was the assumption that the state of matter change from gas to liquid was done IN the compressor. But if my new assumption is right, the compressor just shoves the gas molecules forward into a narrower tube, and the change is done  farther along. Now the thing makes sense.     This next part I hate to admit, but I did this so someone else might too. Google had shown me that an ammeter (which I had always supposed was a pork-munching Londonner) does not actually touch bare wires, so when I opened my brand-new voltmeter I was not surprised by its safe design. I was surprised that it wouldn’t get a voltage reading, and I was embarassed when I was shown that if you twist and pull the plastic red and black probes, they will come off and reveal their pointy metal tips. If this particular point helps a reader, he should put it away.
Reply to
Anonymous