4 Electrocuted mice,dirt & outside A/C fan not spinning

A/C outside fan not spinning. Took it apart and cleaned it good. Lots of pine needles, mud and debris. 4 dead mice with their nest in area where the electrical terminals are located, behind a L shaped panel. Turned A/C on from inside and heard a little noise from unit for a few minutes, then another continuous humming sound. We thought we saw the fan blade move about 1/4 in. Any ideas for next move?

Reply to
kel

This may take a few messages. First, turn power to outside unit; should be a disconnect box outside that you can turn off. Set thermostat to call for cooling, Indoor fan should be running. On the outside unit listen to see if you hear a hum or buzzing noise. Leave outside power off and see if you can spin the fan blade. It should spin freely. Let me know the outcome of this check.

Reply to
stanhvac1

Thank you for your help, Stan. I just wanted to comment that after a user posts their first message and it gets approved, there are no delays in the comment/response system. In fact, if both people are at the site, it might even be faster than email because the reply notifications pop up on the screen right away. Perhaps it may be better than leaving email in the open (we moderate the comments before they appear but have no control over who reads them).

Reply to
homeowners

Thanks for the info. I did not know this. Learn something new every day. I just didn't want to confuse him by laying out to much info at one time. Better to go step by step as if I were there checking it.

Reply to
stanhvac1

Stanhvac1, hi and thanks for answering. I am outside& the fan spins freely. I like your step by step approach.

Reply to
Anonymous

Do you have a volt meter or ohm meter? It would help if so, but if not we will figure it out. First, look in the control panel on the outside unit where the contactor is. There is a capacitor there, (gray or silver metal can; either round or oval shape). Look at it good especially on the top where the wires are. If it is swollen or bulged it is defective. Second: USE EXTREME CAUTION ON THIS STEP. Get a stick that you can reach through the fan guard and rotate the fan blade. 1.Turn the thermostat to call for cooling.

  1. Spin the fan blade and power the unit while the fan is turning. (if it stops before you get the power turned on, spin it again with the stick while the power is on and see if it starts running on its own.) Please keep hands out of the way, those fan blades will cut you if you get in them. If the fan motor runs we most likely have a bad capacitor. If it locks up with power on it, the motor is bad. I check this site every morning and eveing so let me know the outcome of this and we will go from there.
Reply to
stanhvac1

Hello Stanhvac1, you were right, the capacitor needed changing! I wish I had done it myself, but my peeps were getting quite cranky due to the heat. Thank you for your help.

Reply to
Anonymous

You're welcome. Thanks for letting me know what the problem was. I was almost 95% sure the problem was the capacitor.

Reply to
stanhvac1