Zero clearance table saw insert with replaceable wood strip

Anybody know where Norm got his? It would be so convenient to simply put in a new wood strip rather than forming an entire new insert.

Reply to
greatviewcsc

Looks like you may be out of luck...

RayV

Reply to
Dave

Ultimately it is pretty to make a Zero clearance insert if you make a bunch at one time.

Or, look here but hurry. Similar but you may be able to pretty easily make your own replacements.

Leon

Looks like the manufacturer is packing it in. Wish I'd bought one when Grizzly was selling them for around $60.

Personally, I plan to make my own...

  1. Make a regular zero clearance insert from mel board
  2. rout a 1/8" +- deep groove of appropriate width with a dovetail bit
  3. rip out strips of tempered masonite to fit groove

I'd rather have a nice aluminum insert but what the hey...:)

Reply to
dadiOH

Make your inserts in batches of half a dozen. Doesn't take long that way at all.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

good also. I have done a review of the Betterley Tru Cut here>

it helps.

Reply to
xcz

I see that you mention Rockler as a supplier, hopefully not the only one as Rockler has them on clearance.

Reply to
Leon

I was just going to head out to the shop to see if I could find the manufacturer's info on the one I bought from Rockler. Until I read this thread, I never really gave a thought about making up oak inserts for it. Should be a snap once I get the wood the proper thickness in my planer. Should be able to come up with an almost lifetime supply out of scraps.

Reply to
Say What?

are a fan of that widget (I am). I agree with you. I never thought it was that big a deal to make up a batch of inserts.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

Yes, I am a fan too although I have yet to install the latest HD version with the stainless steel core.

Reply to
Leon

It's a nice system but for the $$, I can buy a few sheets of MDF and spend a few hours on an afternoon and have more than enough inserts to last me years. Cheers, cc

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson

At $60, that is why they are packing it in. For that kind of money I can make at least 120 of them from MDF. It would be a nice item if it sold for $15 to $20 maybe. Making the inserts was just another opportunity to do woodworking, IMO. I still have a half dozen from when I made the first batch.

OTOH, you can buy the business for $70,000 and give yourself a discount on the ones for home use.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I noticed years ago that I tend to make dados of a couple different sizes and not much more so I made up a bunch of inserts and then wrote on the bottom of the insert what size dado it was for. Now when I put in the dado stack, I put in the appropriate insert and I don't have to keep making them over and over. I've got a pile of blanks still that I can cut if I ever need to replace one or use a different size.

Reply to
Brian Henderson

I normally make my inserts twice each year. Summer batch in May or June when the humidity in the northeast has risen and maximum swelling has afflicted the MDF. SEcond batch is made in November or December when the humidity has gone down and there's virtually no swelling in the MDF. Summer inserts are too small in the winter and winter inserts are too big in the summer.

Reply to
ROY!

I do the same thing. Trouble is, I upgraded to a different saw and the inserts don't fit. I just haven't gotten around to making new ones yet. Cheers, cc

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson

On Tue, 05 Jun 2007 17:00:09 GMT, "dadiOH" wrote: ...

Exactly what I did a couple of years ago except that I used 1/2" UHMW and 1/4" tempered hardboard. Pics in ABPW. Couldn't see paying what they were asking for them when they are so simple to make yourself.

Have several masonite inserts labeled with the blade tilt angle along with a bunch of blanks. New blade tilt angle? New blade width? Old insert getting a bit ratty? Just slide in a blank insert and raise the blade through it. Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA

Reply to
Tom Veatch

I have done a review of the Betterley Tru Cut

Yes, and it lsts the Craftsman and other model saws, but the link you provided indicates only the Jet is supported.

here>

> Hope it helps.

Reply to
Hoosierpopi

True, but you just have to do the process one more time and you're set for years again. I just don't get the people who complain they have to keep making inserts... um... stop ruining the ones you already made!

Reply to
Brian Henderson

Reply to
Dave Gordon