Zero Clearance Table Insert

Page 2 of 2

For sure... Sometimes it's almost like we're in a foreign country.. lol
Kind of scary, though, how prices are going up... A friend that's a Realtor here said that our house would sell for about $350k... more than twice what it cost for the land and building the house last year!
We built our house for about $60 or $65 a foot... it's around $100 a foot now and all the builders have a huge waiting list..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 18:33:05 -0700, mac davis

Understood.
I just wanted to make the point about duplication for the lurkers. NEVER make ONE of a cheap, useful item while the stuff is set up. <G>

Some table saw book I read had this procedure.
1. Carpet tape the new insert to the old, carefully aligning. 2. Put the old insert in the table saw. The new will be "standing proud." 3. Clamp a 2x4 over the inserts, covering them completely. 4. Start the saw and slowly raise the blade. This makes the initial cut on the new insert.
-- Mark

Here's what I do: Put the stock insert in the saw; Lift up one end so it is slightly raised above the table. Bring the fence over til it just touches the raised insert. Lock the fence in this position. Raise the operator end of the stock insert slightly above the table, and clamp a block of wood to the fence that is just touching the front of the insert. Drop the insert into place. Put the new ZCI on top of the stock insert, with it's front end touching the block of wood. Clamp a second block to the fence on top of the ZCI. Hold the ZCI in place with a push block, start the saw, raise the blade, & cut the slot.

Buy a cheap 8" blade to make an initial cut and if necessary, with the 10" blade installed but not turning, hand cut some width of the initial cut to allow the top of the 10" blade to protrude. Then it's only a matter of turning the saw on and completing the cut.