zero-clearance insert for old Delta TS

I've never used a zero-clearance insert before. I see one at amazon that supposedly fits Delta's but it is described as 1/2" thick and the insert that's on my TS is no way 1/2" thick - it's about 1/4" steel. I'm not sure what model # I have, I don't see "Model: nnn" anywhere on it, but the Cat # is 34-670 - I suppose that that could be the model #. Anyone make an insert for one such as mine, or know where I can buy one?
If you have your original insert then just use it as a template to make a new one out of some plywood. Trace the outline, bandsaw it close then double-stick tape the insert to the blank and rout it with a template bit. It's about as easy as it gets.
Mike
"Anonymoose" <Ihatespam> wrote in message

sure
#

That's what I wanted to do, but the original insert is waaaaay too thin - 3/32". I'll have to try to find some plexiglass or something unless someone can think of something else that's also that thin and stronger.
Try planing it down to the thicknes you want. Can use hardwood or plywood. I have had some success with plywood in the planer. Planed down a piece this summer to fill a hole in my floor before re-laying the hardwood.
John V
"Anonymoose" <Ihatespam> wrote in message

"Anonymoose" <Ihatespam> wrote in message
: I've never used a zero-clearance insert before. I see one at amazon that : supposedly fits Delta's but it is described as 1/2" thick and the insert : that's on my TS is no way 1/2" thick - it's about 1/4" steel. I'm not sure : what model # I have, I don't see "Model: nnn" anywhere on it, but the Cat # : is 34-670 - I suppose that that could be the model #. Anyone make an : insert for one such as mine, or know where I can buy one?
http://www.deltamachinery.com/index.asp?e 9&p$23
On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 13:11:44 -0600, Anonymoose wrote:

You could easily use a plastic cutting board. They come in various thicknesses and can tooled with little effort. The overall effect would be the same but at a substantially lower price.
Other materials work, too: plywood
I used a cutting board that they sell at Harbor Freight. I got two inserts out of it for about $5.00 and a little time. Works great!

that
sure
Cat #

Anonymoose <Ihatespam> wrote:

Look *carefully* at your existing insert. it's thin metal across the expanse of the top of the insert. With a _deeper_ 'edge' down to where it sits on the supports in the table. _That_ depth is considered the overall depth of the insert.
Zero-clearance inserts are typically solid stock, so they are listed by that 'deeper' thickness across almost the entire insert. They _may_ have a hollowed-out section on the bottom side, in the area where the blade will cut through.

Yawp. that's the appropriate id. identifies it as the "budget" Delta saw.

"Anonymoose" <Ihatespam> wrote in message

sure
#
I have a model 34-600. Not sure how close that is to yours, but it takes a 3/8 thick insert - just made my first zero-clearance insert, in fact.
I did something really radical with my Delta Contractor's saw. I have an extra rip fence, and I cut about 1/4" off the bottom of the part that slides over the saw table; there's a hollow space in there like on the bottom pf a steel door that allows you to do that and get away with it. Now I can lay a big piece of 1/4" plywood over the table and the fence slides over it, I just crank the blade up through the new plywood while running it, and have a smooth, solid surface with zero clearance to work with.