Zero Clearance Insert

Page 1 of 4
Hi,
I bought a zero clearance insert for my Unisaw. This is the first time I've owned one, and I'm a bit puzzled as to how to make the slot. My first instinct was to lower the blade completely under the table, turn on the power, then slowly raise the blade with the new insert in place. However, even when the blade is at its lowest point, the bottom of the insert hits it. I couldn't possibly run the saw this way to get the slot started.
What am I missing??
TIA
-m

You aren't missing anything (yet).
Just lay the ZCTP into the opening (with the saw blade fully lowered). Carefully(!) hold the plate up with your fingers and start the saw blade spinning.
Be VERY careful now -- you want to continue "not missing anything"!
Lightly / gingerly / (insert your own phrase ) lower the plate onto the whirling blade. Press it on down 'til it lays level in the throat. Now begin to raise the blade on through the plate.
WHen you have it cut through, turn off the saw and remove the new zero clearance throat plate. Take a sharp chisel to the bottom side to clean off the accumulated crud-stuff.
While care and good fortune you will still "not be missing anything" and you'll have your ZCTP ready for use :-)
-- Steve www.ApacheTrail.com/ww/

The Delta inserts have a clearance pre-cut.
- Nate

I was just relating to the aftermarket UHMW insert blank I worked on last week. It required a bit of bandsaw work to clear space for the splitter before I could even begin to lower it onto the table saw blade.
--
-- Steve
www.ApacheTrail.com/ww/

Lower it onto the blade? I always slowly raise the blade into the already fastened insert. Lowering the insert onto a blade sounds pretty risky: assuming you are talking about cutting the zero clearance throat.
LD
PLEASE NEVER LOWER ANYTHING ON TO THE BLADE!!!!!!!!!!
You may have purchased the wrong insert for your saw. The correct insert should not have this issue. You can make the insert thiner by either resawing it on a band saw or running it through a planer.
Whatever you do, please do not follow the recommendation of lowering it onto the whirling blade ~ that is IGNORANT!

on
slot
off
News==----
Newsgroups

Jeez, I missed the start of this. Unfriggin believable!

I think if you saw it done you'd not be so squeamish. The blade is fully lowered below the surface of the table- it's just that the blade won't let the very front of the insert fully seat by an amount just shy of 3/4" (I just went out and set up a mock kerf cutting). The rear of the insert is in the throat and resting on the rear lugs - you're only pivoting the front downward to fully seat on the front lugs. When you're done the blade is still below the top of the insert's surface so you aren't exposing yourself to a bare blade. Stand to the very side of the saw so that you can hold the back of the insert with one hand and lower the front with the other.
What do you imagine could happen that would make this method so unsafe? The insert is secure left to right by the throat opening. It's registered and resting on the rear lugs - all downward motion (as I mentioned, about 3/4") of the insert is stopped once it hits the forward lugs and by then it's fully secured by the front of the throat opening.
It's really no different than a plunge cut on a table saw or a table-mounted router.
____

"To know the world intimately is the beginning of caring."

Other than having your hands far too close to the path of the blade? I may be over cautious, but I've got all my fingers. I've made several zero clearance inserts and in all cases I've manged to lower the blade enough to allow screwing the insert to the table prior to cutting the slot.
Something I'll definitely be checking if I buy another saw.
LD

I'll have to admit that I thought "is he friggin' kidding?" when the first person posted about lowering the insert by hand onto the blade. Hey, if he and Owen feel safe doing that, more power to them. I wouldn't feel safe doing it. But, as I think Owen mentioned, it's pretty simple matter to just throw the 8" blade from the dado kit on to make the cut, if need be.
todd

I can see doing that to get clearance for the blade on the insert. Then pull the dado blade and make the final cut with the desired blade.

Owen Lowe notes:

Yeah, it is. The piece is too small to grip safely.
Charlie Self "When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary." Thomas Paine
snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

Well, I'm comfortable making the kerf with this method. By all means don't perform anything if you have doubts about your safety. Fear or nervousness can quickly lead to mishaps.
||||/ \||||
See? Still got all 10. ;)
____

"To know the world intimately is the beginning of caring."

Yah but now they are all the same length... That does not count. LOL
On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 13:53:51 -0700, Fly-by-Night CC

Yabbut, it looks like you've pared 'em all down to the same length now, Owie. What'd you use, the routah or the crosscut sled, or a Radio Alarm Saur? Huh, huh, huh? Got pics?
--
"Excess regulation and government spending destroy jobs and increase
unemployment. Every regulator we fire results in the creation of over

N-o-t-a. Lathe work wears out my fingers as I check for flats and rough spots and while friction polishing. The gloves I usually wear have all worn out in the fingertips...
;)
____

"To know the world intimately is the beginning of caring."
On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 21:54:53 -0700, Fly-by-Night CC

"I see." he replied, with a large grin.
(Please note that I succeeded in -not- mentioning the term "friction polishing", a phrase upon which kids'd go wild.)
--
"Excess regulation and government spending destroy jobs and increase
unemployment. Every regulator we fire results in the creation of over

It's not just kids.
____

"To know the world intimately is the beginning of caring."
On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 18:44:08 -0700, Larry Jaques

hell, any good wood worker know that for a surface that flat, you need a jointer...
On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 13:53:51 -0700, Fly-by-Night CC

well, don't know about fear being all that bad.... I have a healthy fear/respect for the moving things in the shop, and if I ever lose that, I'll quit.... IMHO, when you get too comfortable and safe feeling, you're going to make one of those "I KNEW better, but...." mistakes and lose some skin..