ZERO-CLEARANCE INSERT

It ain't rocket science. First ones I ever made I just took the factory insert, traced arount it, cut it out, trimmed to fit flush. That was it.

JOAT Justice was invented by the innocent. Mercy and lawyers were invented by the guilty.

Reply to
J T

> It ain't rocket science. First ones I ever made I just took the

Don't remember where I saw this but I'm going to try it when my plywood insert needs replacing. Get one of those big white plastic cutting boards and make the inserts out of that. Should be able to get three or four out of good-sized board.

Reply to
RayV

Rather than removing the new insert from the original and raising a dado blade thru it ... Leave it attached. Place both in your saw and clamp them down with a 2x4 across the tabletop. Raise your blade up until it just cuts thru the surface of the new insert. Then separate the inserts. This avoids the need to change your blade and gives a perfect fitting ZCI.

Art

> It ain't rocket science. First ones I ever made I just took the

Reply to
Wood Butcher

I just use double sided tape to mount a factory insert to the material and "trace" it with a pattern bit on my router table.

Reply to
B A R R Y

The context of the article in question was a ZCI for a dado stack. No extra blade changing necessary.

For regular blades, you can also just make a bunch of inserts at once so that you have them available when needed.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

That looks familiar to me, too. It's close enough to what Kenneth Burton wrote on pages 98-99 of "Cutting Edge Table Saw Tips & Tricks."

I use 1/2" MDF because I have a bunch of it sitting here and it's inexpensive. I make one for each blade (and mark it in pencil on the top).

Rich

Reply to
rshepard at twodogs dot us

I tried that approach first, but it did not work for me. I have a Bosch

4000 saw and the factory inserts have a couple of protrusions that fit under the saw table. The bearing on the router bit follows the shape nicely, but leaves an insert that won't fit.

So, a couple of weeks ago I bought a 10" sanding disk designed for table saws, and one sheet of 80 grit paper with adhesive on the back. This weekend I'll put that on the saw and sand to the traced outline of the original insert.

Rich

Reply to
rshepard at twodogs dot us

If you do get a ZCI after that sanding - use it on the router table to create a few more - chances are, you'll want another shortly.

Reply to
tarballs

Sun, Sep 3, 2006, 2:27am (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net (tarballs) doth sayeth: If you do get a ZCI after that sanding - use it on the router table to create a few more - chances are, you'll want another shortly.

Keep one of 'em for a master, so you can make more as needed.

JOAT Justice was invented by the innocent. Mercy and lawyers were invented by the guilty.

Reply to
J T

I cut about a half dozen rectangles from scrap 1/2" MDF. Ended up throwing away two before I got the technique down.

The sanding disk is teriffic for those of us who don't have (nor have room for) a belt and/or disk sander. It rounded the corners nicely.

The drill press and a 3/4" spade bit made a finger hole for extraction.

Fitting the insert on the Bosch is tricky; after throwing away the first attempt because I routed too much from the wrong places, I saw that a shelf at the back end was keeping the insert from fitting completely into the cutout. That and some hand sanding made a perfect fit.

The final step was drilling four holes and taping them for 1/4-20 x 3/8" set screws (because I have that tap and didn't need to buy another). Leveled the insert, put the fence across the right edge, turned on the motor, and created a perfect zero clearance insert.

I now have two and need to make two more. Real Soon Now. :-)

Rich

Reply to
rshepard at twodogs dot us

I use the original metal one from Bosch as the master.

Rich

Reply to
rshepard at twodogs dot us