Yype of elevation handle

Looking at a Griz 8" jointer. All close in price, (carbide insert cutters). One has a wheel to adjust height, another has a lever. Which is better? Thanks

Reply to
Rick Samuel

Would you like a lever or a wheel to make your adjustments? Which would seem more repeatable to you?

Reply to
Leon

I have had the Grizley jointer for maybe 10 years, never a problem. Mine has the lever adjustment for height, but I set it once and never change it after that. So-I guess to me anyway, wheel or lever makes no difference.

Reply to
Fred

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Buy what you feel good about. I thought I wanted wheel adjustment when I was shopping years ago, but I ended up buying a Powermatic 54A which has a lever. Very easy to adjust but I really don't change height much.

BTW, our son-in-law has one of the older (4-5 years) Grizzly long-bed, conventional knife jointers and it is a hell of a nice machine. Even Fine Woodworking Mag gave it an excellent review. And Grizzly wasn't even an advertiser.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

My 8" Powermatic has a lever. I've never used a machine with a wheel. The lever works very well for me.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

"Leon" wrote in news:G9GdncAxzKIvtOXXnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

For finer adjustments, could you easily stick a pipe on the lever and then have the ability to adjust the lever 2" at 4' rather than .5" at 1? You could do the same thing with a wheel, of course, but you'd be limited in the size of the wheel. (Of course you could be limited with the placement of the lever too.)

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

The PM54A's lever is also a wheel, isn't it? Tom

Reply to
tom

Correct but seldom used. You can do rough adjustment by moving the handle up or down and then tightening the side locking knob. Fine adjustment can then be done by twisting the handle. But, I can usually get "close enough" without the fine adjustment feature. The table slides up and down pretty smoothly.

RonB

Reply to
RonB