Yuk! HOME DEPOT is awful these days

Page 6 of 6

whome wrote:

Wow, you must be fun to go on vacation with, if you take the time to stop at all the home depots just so you can complain about how bad they are LOL.
I tend to go to Lowe's over HD also. As for the self checkouts.... First time I used one at HD #469 in Mesa, Arizona I tried to insert my $10.00 bill and the machine would not take it. The gal in charge of the self checkouts came over to see what the problem was and then said she couldn't help me! I didn't have anymore bills so I just left my cart of merchandise there and left the store.
I was a vendor for Home Depot and Lowe's for years and was treated so badly by HD management on a regular basis that I would almost rather shop anywhere than there. Lowe's was always strict about their requirements but were never ever pricks.
AZCRAIG

I still go to HD because they are so close but almost always the checkout process is slow. Now the Lowes I go to has plenty of help and they really pay attention to the lines and employees are always asking if you need help. Lowes seems to be very customer driven. HD must have changed management and the quickest way to increase profits is to cut training and payroll and raise prices. That is a poor long term strategy as customers [particualry the ones that live close to a better competitor] will eventually leave when they notice consistently poor service and higher prices but it does initially work. I also don't like the HD brand Behr paint. I recently tried Lowes brand interior latex and it was much better in my opinion.
Steve

1, Far west Houston, Hwy 6 & Westheimer. This must be the Hopeless Depot flagship store. Dark, rude, long lines, lumber is crap, generally clueless floor help, but not always. 2 minutes from work, but I'd rather have my stomach pumped than go there. To hell with self checkout. I deal with machines enough. Prefer human beings.
2. Richmond TX -20 miles as the crow flies from #1. Richmond/Rosenburg is still a small town, and has not lost small town values, but Houston is getting closer. Friendly folks, pretty well stocked. Worth the drive.
3. Lowes - Richmond. Well worth the drive. Mostly knowledgeable folks, good stock selection. My first choice of the Big Box stores.
Where I spent most of my money on home projects and hobby the last couple of years (of specific interest only to those in the Houston area) other than 2&3 above: Interesting that the list is comprised of essentially family businesses until you get to mail order. Wonder why that is.
1. The Cutting Edge - Houston - Mom&Pop shop. Tools, supplies, some wood. 2. Plantation Hardware - Richmond - Mom&Pop shop. Hardware, supplies 3. Home Lumber - Rosenburg - Was Mom&Pop shop, but being sold. Lumber, molding, you-name-it. 4. Ebay, Craigslist, houston.forsale - hand tools, used major tools 5. Antique, junk, yard sales - more hand tools (it's a slippery slope) 6. Lee Valley (need I say more) (another slippery slope) 7. Woodcraft mail order, mostly sale items. I like the local store, but it has a lot of stocking problems, and is about 80 miles round trip from the house. Too far to go to find out it is not there. Yep, tried calling first. I only allow a dog one bite. I still stop by if I happen to be in the area, but won't make a special trip.
Special Mention - Circle Saw - Houston - Mom&Pop shop - I think they stock spare parts for everything ever made, even pointy sticks.
Regards, Roy
Well, I guess it may be a little relative to where you live. The small town I live in doesn't have one. It has one local hardware store that does a booming business; however, they don't sell Behr paint and have anywhere close the inventory of Home Depot. For example, not too long ago I needed a 220 volt 20/50 amp combo circuit breaker. Local store said they would have to order it, take a few days and it would cost $23.95. As it happened, I was traveling a couple hundred miles that week and stopped in a Home Depot and they had it in stock for ( I think it was around) $15. Now see the store is a good thing to me.. regardless of its self checkout routine.

RE: Subject
All decisions are made in Atlanta these days.
Store employees who have employed there more than a couple of years are in general, not happy, but there is nothing they can do to change things, or so I'm told by someone I believe.
Lew

I just got back from doing a week and four days worth of work at an Eagle (Lowe's) on Oahu. Had to island hop to Maui and the Big Island. Just from driving around and general sight seeing, HD out numbers Lowe's on the island something like 3 to 1. Obviously they must be doing something right over there. Ah, Hawaii.
I believe what you said is true.
I just visit HD this morning. I asked the man in electrical area on something that I previous bought from HD but I don't know where it is located at. The man told me "I don't know" then turned his back and walked away.
The same and similar scenarios, I shopped at Lowes, I have never leave any Lowes store without any answer.
Since I have been experience many times like this so I am shopping at Lowes much more than HD even though Lowes it a little farther while there are many HD stores around me.
This might be a reason why now HD Supply store at Landess in Milpitas is changing their store name into Contractor Warehouse. I spoke to a store manager about the bad and really bad services at HD. I told them, I hope after they changed into a new name, they will not step on the previous footprint of HD before.
I don't think the bad service because the CEO; but the business vision of the whole HD management system.
San Jose, California.

Tim Taylor wrote:

[...]
Tim Taylor wrote:

Definitely depends on area. Here in Northwest Tucson, service is hard to find and the registers aren't heavily manned.
OTOH, at my folks place in Colorado, HD is fairly new; we had bought Dad a lawn mower for Fathers' day at one HD in a different town (based on a trip made for other reasons) but it didn't work. We didn't see an employee until after my wife and I had moved the lawn mower from the second shelf, onto another model's box on the floor and from the box onto our cart. *Then* the help showed up. Decided to try returning it to the closer HD, a fairly recently (maybe a little over one year old). Absolutely no problem with returning to their store, rapid response from both return cashier and person in garden dept who actually brought the new one up to the register. If all HD's were like that, they'd have a lock on the market.
As an HD stockholder, I've been significantly underwhelmed by their performance. While Lowe's has continued to increase in value (except for the last couple of weeks) and has split at least once in the past several years; HD hasn't moved much anyplace after I bought the stock and it headed downward about $20 a share.
The local HD here(central Texas) went to the single checkout and computer self check and my experiences were all negative. Each time I got a receipt there was a suggestion to take a survey about my experience that trip so I went home and chimed in with my 2 cents worth. But a year later nothing has changed much.
For all lumber and other long or heavy items I go to a lumber yard here just to keep from handling the stock so much and also to avoid the HD checkouts. Luckly we have two lumberyards that do a pretty good job on most items.
Ron T

It isn't at all... We've got Menard's, and he leans on the local government to keep everyone else out. But, they're the same story as the rest of them.
But I keep wondering when I see these threads about the HD and Lowes- Where I'm at, there are Farm and Fleet stores peppered around, and in other areas, there is Fleet Farm, which I'm led to understand is almost the same store. Now, they don't stock lumber, so I can't get that there, but for general hardware and tools, they've got people who stay right in their areas and know where things are at, and will order anything they don't have on hand for you. They carry Delta, Porter-Cable, DeWalt, Milwalkee, etc.- and tend to have a better selection than the smaller tool stores, even up to some fairly big iron. They still sell fasteners out of bins so you don't need to buy 400 screws when you only need two, and there are always at least 8 checkout lanes open. Prices usually match or beat Amazon, and they do warranty work in the store's shop if they can, and exchange things without much hassle if they can't.
Now, I don't know if that's just a local chain- but I wonder if a lot of people are just missing it because it has "Farm" in the name. Really a good place to get your woodworking stuff, and decent service- as well as an excellent paint department. Might be worth a look if they're around and you're just choosing between Home Depot and Lowes.
I try to support the local guys as much as possible, but the Do It Best in town is never open, and the local lumberyard kind of went to hell when they moved to a new bigger location and started selling everything they could think of, so the Farm and Fleet is where it's at. At least it's supporting people who seem to care about what they're doing- unlike the big box stores (which I have frequented in the past, and now know they aren't worth a two-hour drive)

Yep, numbers driven short term profit fixation, at the expense of long term health of HD and long term profits. After this CEO gets short term profits way up, he will make 20 million or so for himself after many employees are laid off, then sales will start falling off after customers grow tired of HD's crappy customer service, then the CEO will leave with his golden parachute, stores will close. Then Home Depot will have an epithany: "hey let's hire more employees to better serve our customers! Let's be customer service focused!" (gee, like you USED to be) So then they'll start hiring more people again, customer service will get better, customers will come back. Then after everyone is happy, another CEO will come along to slash the number of employees, to raise short term profits, etc........so on and so forth..............corporate bullshit 101.........pencil necked geeks with their excel spreadsheets.
-

...snip
Not a whole lot of places with the name "Farm" in them here in Tucson (at least that I know of, would love to be told differently.
Where I grew up in Colorado we had something called Ranch Wholesale that was an excellent source for tools and hardware at reasonable prices. The local COOP was always pretty expensive but well-stocked. The local small lumber yard is still in business (I went to school with the owner's son, who, with his brother, now runs the place). Good service, good conversation, as Dad says, "their prices are a little higher, but they know what they are selling, will listen to what I need it for and make sure I get the right thing" Beats the heck out of the Borgs' business models.
My Lowe's story for the day: went to get some stuff I needed for the yard today; took along a $10 off for purchases over $50. When I got to the register, I had 4 things in my hand: the $10 off card and 3 gift certificates (they are sold by our school through a fund-raising program in which the merchants who participate donate a percentage of the purchase price to the selling organization). Cashier rang up the purchase and applied the three gift cards, *then* saw the coupon (I did mention it was on top of my stack of cards, didn't I?). At this time, there was $19.95 left: "sorry, I can't ring up the discount now because the amount has to be over $50 for the system to accept the discount and I've already applied gift cards, so I can't take them off. Let me find a supervisor" Turns out I had to go to the service desk, have one of the items be "returned", then have the card applied to that amount. Now, it seems to me that an intelligently written POS (that's Point of Sale) system would look at the *purchase* total when applying discounts for which conditions apply, not at the current remaining amount. But then, that's just me. As I expected, I spent about 15 minutes in the return line (I was first in line) waiting for the right manager with the right override card to be able to apply the right amounts. Once that nonsense was sorted out, the girl with the shiny stone stuck in the side of her nose pulled the cash for the whole refund, then applied the amount to the new purchase with the $10 discount applied and handed me $10.78 in change. I tried to tell her that I should only receive $10 if this was properly applied, but she insisted that the change was correct, "it must be due to the tax". At that point, I gave up and left.
Now, in their defense, a month ago, they did replace some mini-blinds we bought from them over 1 1/2 years ago that had broken their retraction cords and went out of their way to interface between us and the supplier, so sometimes they do get it right.
"Mark & Juanita" wrote in message

<snip>
Last week Lowe's "lost" a dishwasher for one of our houses purchased six months ago and "stored" for future delivery (we generally buy a couple appliance's at a time whenever a good sale item pops up).
Upshot is that, after exercising my nuclear option (SWMBO) to resolve the issue (I would just end up in jail), Lowe's replaced the $700 "lost" one for a $1000 item, plus free delivery.
Then, "Lowe's and behold", they're "no show" at the appointed delivery time that afternoon.
When confronted, they admitted that they didn't have the replacement in stock. Enter SWMBO again, who negotiates immediate free delivery of the $1200 model that _is_in stock, supervised the loading of same, and had their truck follow her to the job site.
With your story as a benchmark, you can imagine how many "managers" it took to resolve that.
The thing I like about Lowe's is that one can profit from their corporate ineptness while HD would still be trying to find a manager.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/30/06

Which may be just a 'ploy' {or an inadvertent serendipity} . . . with the assumption that you {'The Customer' . . . sometimes notated as 'The Sucker'} will become so frustrated with the entire process that they will just go away . . .
Regards, Ron Magen Backyard Boatshop {with infinite patience and who regards 'high dungeon' as an Art Form}
Ron Magen wrote:
> Which may be just a 'ploy' {or an inadvertent serendipity} . . . with the > assumption that you {'The Customer' . . . sometimes notated as > 'The Sucker'} will become so frustrated with the entire process that they > will just go away . . .
It is easier to get rid of stink on crap than it is to make me go away.
Getting refunds, exchanges, credits, etc are all my game.
I win my games, it is a matter of principle.
As an example, bought a printer which carried a mail in rebate.
I hate rebates, but what the heck, I'll play their silly game.
After a year, still didn't have my refund.
Got tired of all the excuses.
Called the CEO's office and explained the problem.
Within the week, had the check for the rebate + $10 for the aggravation factor.
Lew
$10.00 a year. You drive a hard bargain.

Lew Hodgett wrote:

We must be birds of a feather. I got a bunch of BS from the customer no-service department dep't at Xerox concerning a rebate on a printer, and I contacted the CEO and got my rebate, two free ink cartridges (color and B&W) and a phone call of appology from the customer no-service lady.
The squeaky wheel gets the grease.
;-) Glen