Yuk! HOME DEPOT is awful these days

Page 5 of 6

J. Clarke wrote:

Easy, go to Oregon or New Jersey. There you cannot fill up yourself.
On Wed, 02 Aug 2006 08:24:42 -0400, "J. Clarke"

We actually have quite a few, even big name one's like ESSO. There are 4 in a one mile stretch alone.
snipped-for-privacy@the.shoppe wrote:

Where would that be? Didn't realize that ESSO was still being used as a brand name.
--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
J. Clarke wrote:

Exxon is Esso in Canada and England. They are one of the older Oil Companies around

bdeditch wrote:

I know who ESSO is, they were ESSO when I was a kid, but haven't seen that named used in decades.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
On Fri, 04 Aug 2006 19:48:13 -0400, "J. Clarke"
... snip

Where I grew up they were ENCO stations --- likewise haven't seen that name in decades either.

Pass one on the way home from work daily.

todd wrote:

If, as another posted noted, there were no or minimal difference (as there isn't in the BORG), certainly. I find a big difference between swiping a card at a dispensing machine like a gas pump and having to scan individual items at a checkout, however. The former makes some sense, the latter is simply an imposition on a customer (imo, ymmv, $0.02, etc., ...).
Altho in actuality unless traveling the Co-op has user/member keyed pumps so I use them for the car/pickup and everything else is delivered to the on-farm storage so no hassle (other than paying the bill at the end of the month which is getting astronomical, but that's a whole different story :( ).
<<When I become an employee, _then_ (and only then) I'll do the checkout...meanwhile, it's there job. >>
I don't care whose job it is, I just want in and out expeditiously, and that occurs when I do stuff for myself. I much prefer pumping my own gas and serving myself at restaurants so that I don't have to wait on someone else.
But, I'm pleased that others feel the way you do. That keeps the self-serve lines short. :-)
snipped-for-privacy@boundvortex.com wrote:

You can be assured I won't be in either the self-serve or the manned checkout line at a BORG often enough to be an issue in their traffic count! :)
Of course, it's easier since there isn't one within 60 miles but I wouldn't go if it were as long as the _real_ lumberyard that we've dealt with for 60+ years is still here--and hopefully it can make it another 10 or so and I'll no longer care much in all likelihood. There, there are no such things as "check out lines" and such so there are no moronic checkers. A good ol' order form is written out that has whatcha' took on it, and the end of the month a copy of them shows up in the mail--a check goes back next time go to town.
snipped-for-privacy@boundvortex.com wrote:

Me too. I use them whenever they are available. Almost always quicker. Plus I'd much rather do it myself & use a machine than deal with a moron ;-) Recently bought a bunch of lumber, including 5 2x6's, at the local Home Depot. Idiot who rang me up charged me for 6. I noticed this on the receipt out in the parking lot & dragged the whole load back into the store, where the same cashier was standing by the door. Naturally he couldn't correct his mistake, I had to go stand in ANOTHER line at the "service" desk. How hard is it to count to 5, for christ sake? I recently moved to Seattle from central Ohio (Columbus area). I also visit family in the Los Angeles area frequently. In central Ohio, virtually every grocery store has self checkouts, in LA about the ONLY place I've seen them with any regularity is Home Depot. They're a BIT more prevalent in WA, but not much, though again the HD's do have them.
Dan

I once had to tell a cashier at a McDonald's how much change to give me. She couldn't figure it out so asked me how much she had to give me. I told her (honestly), but also feel sad at having to do that.
George Max wrote:

Recently bought some wine at a local QFC grocery. If you buy more than 6, they give you 10% off. For some goofy reason, if they don't ring the wine up 1st, the register can't just figure the 10% off the wine only, so they had to enter the discount separately. Wine total was something like $79.85, the cashier actually had to go get a calculator to figure the 10% discount. I know what you mean, I felt sorry for her.
Dan

Some folks just don't have any math ability. I've been truly blessed, perhaps gifted. I can do 3 figure multiply problems, calculate 9.75% sales tax and add that to the total in my head. In college I aced every math course I took and sometimes never bought the textbook. I took accelerated math courses too--an entire course squeezed into 5 days. My grandfather was the same way. The math ability comes in handy with woodworking. BTW, my history and reading skills suck.
George Max wrote:
> I once had to tell a cashier at a McDonald's how much change to give > me. She couldn't figure it out so asked me how much she had to give > me. I told her (honestly), but also feel sad at having to do that.
My guess is that anybody under the age of 40, never learned how to "make change" when they were in grade school.
Ain't calculators grand?
Lew

I have a computer program that will do it for me. It gives you the fewest number of coins possible, too. (It was one of the first things I wrote in my CS classes, but that's beside the point.)
Puckdropper

Here in toledo, same thing. One checkout (no automated checkout) , IF you find a employee they just have a vague idea where anything is and walk away. Bought a small piece of red oak to make a feather board with. Cut it in half, turned out the damn thing was glued! Cut right thru the biscuits. They suck.
jj wrote:

I for one like the automated deal since those can be easily told to speak english :)
jj wrote:

I pretty much have experienced the same. I did a trip all over the West last year. Stopped at few HDs to see if they had the same pathetic operations as the one at home. Yah, there are all bad. When HD first opened I liked them a lot better than Eagle or Lowes. But now it is completely turned around. I almost always shop any where but HD.
I would like to package up this thread and send it to Home Depot corp office and send along copies to some analysts on Wall Street. If anyone would like for me to leave off their post, just say so.
snipped-for-privacy@devnull.org says...

Be my guest. Send mine to corporate -- I've already written them -- no response, told CS in store of problems -- Sorry, etc., emailed store mgr - nothing's changed. I no longer go in a HD - will pay more at small hardware store down the road where people are friendly, know what they have or will get it for me and seem to appreciate my business.
I wish I could short stocks in my IRA -- about $6-8 would look like a good cover price.