Yuk! HOME DEPOT is awful these days

Far as I'm concerned, their house, their rules. If you don't want to abide by their rules then don't shop in their store.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Last week Lowe's "lost" a dishwasher for one of our houses purchased six months ago and "stored" for future delivery (we generally buy a couple appliance's at a time whenever a good sale item pops up).

Upshot is that, after exercising my nuclear option (SWMBO) to resolve the issue (I would just end up in jail), Lowe's replaced the $700 "lost" one for a $1000 item, plus free delivery.

Then, "Lowe's and behold", they're "no show" at the appointed delivery time that afternoon.

When confronted, they admitted that they didn't have the replacement in stock. Enter SWMBO again, who negotiates immediate free delivery of the $1200 model that _is_in stock, supervised the loading of same, and had their truck follow her to the job site.

With your story as a benchmark, you can imagine how many "managers" it took to resolve that.

The thing I like about Lowe's is that one can profit from their corporate ineptness while HD would still be trying to find a manager.

Reply to
Swingman

Tell him to screw himself and walk away. He has three choices. He can try to physically detain you which equals assault. He can call a cop which, if anything comes of it will amount to false arrest. He can shut up and crawl back under his rock. They can hang a sign saying that they have the right to rape customers too but how far do you think they'd get with that? Tactics like that work by intimidation. Don't be intimidated.

Reply to
CW

Don't try any of this in Arizona.

Our (Pima) County Attorney did not charge a security guard at a Safeway store who placed a suspected shoplifter in a choke hold and killed him, citing the following:

D has since been ruled unconstitutional by the AZ Court of Appeals, however, after the family sued Safeway.

Nevertheless, the guy is still dead.

Reply to
Wes Stewart

so if they put up a sign that says murder or rape is legal in their stores that makes it so??????????

Reply to
wide glide

Yes, live in fear, retreat from others. That should be everyone's motto.

Reply to
CW

Depends on how much time you want to spend.

Frankly, I don't normally pay any attention to them and just keep on walking. Regardless of any sign that they post they don't have the right to stop anyone. Unless it's a club store,like Costco or Sam's, and you agreed to abide by club policies when you signed up.

There's a ton of false and misleading information out there about the rights of businesses to do as they please, much of it is incorrect.

The bottom line is that they don't have the right to do anything unless they're willing to physically arrest you and take you into custody. I'm sure somebody will disagree.

As it was explained to me by an attorney, when you open your doors to the public you give up some of your "private property" rights as a business.

Reply to
John Emmons

I posted a factual account that conflicts with your loony advice and this is the best you can do. I'm simply pointing out our statutes. Having been on a jury in a false arrest case, I can assure you that asking to look in someone's bag, isn't it.

BTW, I'm usually (legally) packing when I shop HD, or anywhere else that doesn't post a prohibition against it. (Costco does, for instance.) So I wouldn't say I'm living in fear.

Reply to
Wes Stewart

Both of those are criminal offenses in all localities in the US of which I am aware. In what localities is requiring that one show a store employee the contents of one's shopping bag before leaving the store a criminal offense?

Reply to
J. Clarke

In one of my former lives I conducted academic research on the guard (unarmed and armed) industry. While observing class room training I heard a lawyer advise the students that if a store employee or a guard physically prevents someone from leaving the store the employee/guard could be charged with unlawful imprisonment. This would be particularly true if handcuffs were used. While the charges would probably be dropped somewhere in the process the legal possibility exists. The lawyer advised that restraining people and/or taking them into custody and/or handcuffing people is for the police... the guards role is deterrence, recording information that will help the police, and calling the police if someone flees. It was kind of an interesting class that also covered the use of force and deadly physical force... left me with a more refined view of what my obligations are while going armed.

Not being a lawyer myself I cannot say that this is true in all states but it is apparently true in NY.

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

I keep walking and inform the person that if they touch me I will be the one calling the police.

A sign on the door is nice, but it means nothing in terms of law.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Precisely. You must believe that the government will protect you and all is dandy in the world. I happen to know better and have taken steps to protect myself. I believe this is called "self-reliance", which differs from cowering in a corner in fear.

One HD I've shopped at is the auto theft hot spot for the state. Perhaps because it's located on an Interstate highway 60 miles from Mexico. "Interstate" meaning it connects two states; Arizona and Sonora, Mexico and to make it easy for the car thieves, drug smugglers and illegal aliens it's signed in metric.

A mile from there is a Wal-Mart that used to average three calls to the police each day to pick up shoplifters. They have very recently given up and stealing items worth less than $25 is now a freebie.

The aforementioned Safeway market is located between HD and Wally World.

So when I need to visit these places (my 94-year-old mother still lives nearby in the house I grew up in and she's not about to move), I protect myself. Seems pretty simple to me.

You must live in a gun-free place like NY, Chicago or Washington DC where there isn't any crime.

Reply to
Wes Stewart

Me too. You're scared.

Actually, Washington. I've had a carry permit for the past 25 years. What can I say, you're easy.

Reply to
CW

That's not fair, Maybe he just can't afford the gas on a jacked up pickup for compensation purposes.

Reply to
no

"Wes Stewart" wrote: > BTW, I'm usually (legally) packing when I shop HD, or anywhere else > that doesn't post a prohibition against it. (Costco does, for > instance.) So I wouldn't say I'm living in fear.

Unless you are willing to kill another human being without hesitating, you will be damn lucky when somebody takes that pea shooter away from you that they only stick it where the moon doesn't shine instead of kill you with it.

It takes a lot of training to make that kind of a decision.

A lot of people can't do it.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Strange that you would assume he would hesitate while the "taker" would not. I was brought up that you never pointed a gun at anyone unless you were prepared to use it. The "without hesitating" was also stressed.

I don't carry a firearm, but I do own one. I used to take it on camping trips to protect against wildlife, mostly the two-legged kind. I've never had to use it, but I doubt I'd have had any difficulty doing so if someone had tried to break into my camper.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Sooo, do you wear seat belts? If so, you must be scared because most people don't have accidents in which seat belts would be that helpful.

... snip

Mark & Juanita

Why on earth do you do business with a company with whose policies you disagree, and having done so why do you go out of your way to be annoying about it?

Reply to
J. Clarke