Yuk! HOME DEPOT is awful these days

Page 4 of 6

I'm not annoying about it. I simply walk out of the store. In fact, I've never been challenged.
Dave Balderstone wrote:

Then what in the H-E-double-toothpicks are you on about? Or are you just one of those people who isn't happy unless he's complaining about something?
--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

Lowes may have more floor employees, but they charge a LOT more to pay for them. A 2x4 8 foot usually costs around $2.69 at Home Depot, but will cost genrally around $3.69 at Lowes. I've found just about everything to be more at Lowes. I only go to Lowes if nobody else has an item. Also, the nearest Lowes is a 15 mile trip each way.
I've been doing most of my shopping at Menards recently even though HD is only about a mile or two further. Menards prices are always the same or less than HD these days. Home Depot was the cheapest three or four years ago, but HD prices have gone way up.
Brian Elfert
Brian Elfert wrote:

Is that a wet fir 2x4 with mold on it or a dry pine 2x4 sans mold?

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
Don't knock Menards. Typically lower prices than the BORG, they hire cute girls, and there is ALWAYS someone on the floor. Clueless or not, they try to be helpful.
Menards is privately held, by the way. They may have bean counters, but those bean counters answer to the owners, not friggin neurotic share holders. That means a lot. Share holders (the big insuance or pension managers) can force an ass-rape on a company and then sell when the price start to go down. Owners are in for the long haul.
That said, I do try to go to the BORG when I can to support the local tax base. Menards is "just a bit outside" my village's boundaries, but they still get a substantial percentage of my money.
writes:

Hedley wrote:

I'm sorry, but I have no idea what "Menards" might be.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

You might want to do a quick search for their website and have a look. (I think it's www.menards.com but don't quote me on that.) Most stores have about everything you'll need to build and maintain a house and then some.
Given the choice between Menards and Home Depot/Lowes, I usually go Menards. (We live about halfway between Menards and HD.)
Puckdropper

Puckdropper wrote:

I was being facetious. The closest Menards to me is several hundred miles away and across a national border.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

Menards is the third largest "Home Improvement" chain based in Eau Claire, Wisconsin. Stores are located mainly in the midwest in Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, and Michigan, Nebraska, North/South Dakota.
Some of their old stores are poorly laid out, but the new stores are really nice. They are much closer to a lumberyard than HD or Lowes. They actually have a outdoor lumberyard at the stores so stuff can be put directly into a vehicle instead of loaded in a cart and hauled outside.
The Menard family is also big into racing. Various Menard family members have been on the Indy and Nascar racing circuits.
Brian Elfert

Here's the problem with Menards, though- they'd be all right if John Menard had the slightest concern about his business practices, but he's a rotten neighbor. The distribution and manufacturing centers are local to my area, and he's constantly in trouble for dumping toxic waste into the local ecology, from burning huge piles of PT lumber to pouring tens of thousands of gallons of paint where they ended up in the river. The employes in that manufacturing compound are (on average) paid less than the average late-night stocker at WalMart and work in unheated/uncooled buildings with uncountable OSHA violations. The guy just finds it cheaper to keep paying the fines than to fix the problems, and does whatever he can to make sure he can keep raping the area.
Now I'll grant you that all that is pretty much SOP for any large company I'm familiar with, and I'm sure HD and Lowes are guilty of many of the same things, though they may be doing them in other countries- but it's still really tough to support that kind of behavior, especially when the guy keeps doing it in his own home town.
That, and they're forgetting who they are- I went there today to get a couple of things and walked into a coffee shop, and then passed a huge section that looked like a Pier One store before I even found any tools or building materials. Not what I like in a hardware store- especially one that fights like the devil to keep any and all competition out of 100 mile radius of headquarters.
Kinda funny. HD started moving aggressively into our area (Eastern WA) at about the same time Lowe's took over Eagle. I had preferred Eagle, because the service was better, selection OK, though not as wide as HD, and the merchandise seemed better. Then Lowe's took over Eagle, and it went down the tubes. Now I prefer Lowe's over HD for all the reasons mentioned.
The last time I was in HD, an employee suggested I use the auto-checkout since there was no line. She smiled when I said I'd wait for a human to do my checkout, on GP.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

I'm also in eastern WA and yes, I miss Eagle. I'm sure you've heard that "LOWES" stands for "Less Of What Eagle Stocked" :-).
That said, they're a LOT better than HD.
--
It's turtles, all the way down

jj wrote:

Well, here in the midlands of SC we call them Hopeless Depot. They are pretty much my last resort if all else fails. Sort of the Wall-Mart-ization of the home center. A race to the bottom with understaffed clueless minimum wagers trying to kill time till the end of their shift.........sigh......... Scott.
On Tue, 01 Aug 2006 22:25:14 GMT, Scott McAuley

The local Walmart usually has lower prices for paint, caulk etc. HD and their "We must be out of that" and the annoying "self-checkout" that wants you to bag a 10 ft stick of pipe have run me off- I usually drive 5 miles further to Lowes.
--
Mr.E

I like the hopeless depot remark. Here in central Calif. same story. About a year and a half ago I purchased some paint from HD, I took the mix stickers to them and for 1 gallon of each color. They said they could not do it??? changed brand for their base paint. I told them it did not have to match exact and that it was going on a fence. Still would not do it. So I took the stickers to Lowes and they were more than happy mix the paint, they did and it matched The original mix that HD did was from a stick from True Value (had a good one near where I work but it closed when the owner retired). And life goes on.

<<automated checkouts>>
I love those things.
snipped-for-privacy@boundvortex.com wrote:

When I become an employee, _then_ (and only then) I'll do the checkout...meanwhile, it's there job.
In general, however, I only patronize locations where I have open accounts...

And you go to full-service gas stations too, right?
todd

I certainly do. They create more jobs and cost the same.
snipped-for-privacy@the.shoppe wrote:

You mean you can _find_ one?