Yuk! HOME DEPOT is awful these days

Page 3 of 6

Don't try any of this in Arizona.
Our (Pima) County Attorney did not charge a security guard at a Safeway store who placed a suspected shoplifter in a choke hold and killed him, citing the following:
http://www.azleg.state.az.us/ars/13/01805.htm?printformat=yes
Subsection D has since been ruled unconstitutional by the AZ Court of Appeals, however, after the family sued Safeway.
Nevertheless, the guy is still dead.

Yes, live in fear, retreat from others. That should be everyone's motto.

I posted a factual account that conflicts with your loony advice and this is the best you can do. I'm simply pointing out our statutes. Having been on a jury in a false arrest case, I can assure you that asking to look in someone's bag, isn't it.
BTW, I'm usually (legally) packing when I shop HD, or anywhere else that doesn't post a prohibition against it. (Costco does, for instance.) So I wouldn't say I'm living in fear.
You don't live in fear but you carry a gun. O.K.

Precisely. You must believe that the government will protect you and all is dandy in the world. I happen to know better and have taken steps to protect myself. I believe this is called "self-reliance", which differs from cowering in a corner in fear.
One HD I've shopped at is the auto theft hot spot for the state. Perhaps because it's located on an Interstate highway 60 miles from Mexico. "Interstate" meaning it connects two states; Arizona and Sonora, Mexico and to make it easy for the car thieves, drug smugglers and illegal aliens it's signed in metric.
A mile from there is a Wal-Mart that used to average three calls to the police each day to pick up shoplifters. They have very recently given up and stealing items worth less than $25 is now a freebie.
The aforementioned Safeway market is located between HD and Wally World.
So when I need to visit these places (my 94-year-old mother still lives nearby in the house I grew up in and she's not about to move), I protect myself. Seems pretty simple to me.
You must live in a gun-free place like NY, Chicago or Washington DC where there isn't any crime.

Me too. You're scared.

can I say, you're easy.

Sooo, do you wear seat belts? If so, you must be scared because most people don't have accidents in which seat belts would be that helpful.
... snip

What a blurry line fear and prevention (or rediness) create. Do you keep your router's wrenches nearby (relative to the tool) because you fear you'll have to change the bit or because you want to be ready when the time comes? How about eye protection? Is it fear or prevention that keep people not only wearing safety glasses but encouraging others to do it?
I think you could make a good arguement for either in the majority of cases.
JMHO,
Puckdropper

It's all outright fear. Just that past experience coupled with common sense tell you when (hopefully) that some prevention is in order.

Apart from the Best Buy guy wanting to go through my bags, I have not any major problem in New York. Oh well, there was this guy who got angry when my briefcase touched his bicycle, and he threw a slice of pizza at me, and the LIRR cop who detained me because I had the temerity to ask him to ask someone to stop smoking in the LIRR no-smoking area. But that was about all in almost 30 years crossing Manhattan between Penn Station and 23rd street and First Ave.
--
Best regards
Han

compensation purposes.
"Wes Stewart" wrote: > BTW, I'm usually (legally) packing when I shop HD, or anywhere else > that doesn't post a prohibition against it. (Costco does, for > instance.) So I wouldn't say I'm living in fear.
Unless you are willing to kill another human being without hesitating, you will be damn lucky when somebody takes that pea shooter away from you that they only stick it where the moon doesn't shine instead of kill you with it.
It takes a lot of training to make that kind of a decision.
A lot of people can't do it.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Strange that you would assume he would hesitate while the "taker" would not. I was brought up that you never pointed a gun at anyone unless you were prepared to use it. The "without hesitating" was also stressed.
I don't carry a firearm, but I do own one. I used to take it on camping trips to protect against wildlife, mostly the two-legged kind. I've never had to use it, but I doubt I'd have had any difficulty doing so if someone had tried to break into my camper.
--
It's turtles, all the way down

"CW" wrote in message

Fear is healthy ... only the irrational are fearless.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/30/06

I keep walking and inform the person that if they touch me I will be the one calling the police.
A sign on the door is nice, but it means nothing in terms of law.
Dave Balderstone wrote:

Why on earth do you do business with a company with whose policies you disagree, and having done so why do you go out of your way to be annoying about it?
--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

On Sun, 06 Aug 2006 00:26:02 -0400, "J. Clarke"

Exactly. I don't mind the exit checkers and anti-theft devices in stores. But the security at the airports I can not accept. Why should I have to be hassled, frisked, X-rayed and scanned when I paid for a $900 ticket? No way, I have not got on an aircraft since 9/11 and found other ways of transportation. The US is doing its job when it secures our borders....
Phisherman wrote:

The silly part of the whole airport business is that it won't do a damned thing about a 9/11 type attack. It's all an attempt to appear to be Doing Something. Now if Amtrak could get you from New York to Los Angeles in reasonable comfort for less than the price of a round-trip ticket to Tokyo . . .