Yuk! HOME DEPOT is awful these days

Page 1 of 6

I used to shop a lot at HOME DEPOT around these parts, because it was the closet to me. But a while back they eliminated all of the checkers except for one and have those stupid automated checkouts that are a pain in the @#$!$. There is no such thing as a quick trip to HD any more. The lines are often 10 or 12 deep. Now I just avoid HD and go to Lowes. A couple of miles farther away but a damn site faster than going to HD.
Also, I have noticed a lot less employees on the floor in HD than Lowes.
The last time I was in HD (months ago) I mentioned to an employee how I thought the store was going down the tubes. They replied I don't know the half of it. They mentioned something about a new CEO. Sigh, probably another example of a CEO ruining a company while at the same time getting rewarded with hugh bonuses.
How's HD in your area?
jj wrote:

In the Dayton area the HD here was excellent when it first opened. They were far better than the Lowes across the street. A lot of people on the floor, people at registers, etc. As with your store, this changed and it almost seemed like over night there were less people on the floor and they went to the self check out with one register open at the contractor check out. Long lines like you have. I think they got some serious complaints because the last few trips I have made there they now have at least two other registers open with people checking out customers, in addition to the self check out. I actually like the self check but there are times when you need a real person to do the work.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com says...

... snipped

Home Depot (new a few months ago) North of Houston, TX (Hwy 2978 @ Hwy 1488)
... very poor selection/stocking of items -- in last 5 times, had to go to Lowe's 4 times -- don't go to that HD now -- seldom go to any HD
... higher prices than Lowe's on items that were once significantly less expensive
... seems to be decrease in personnel (registers inadequately manned)
... now buying ALL medium/large ticket items via Internet - neither HD nor Lowe's competitive, even after paying shipping
... sold HD stock 3/06 -- don't own Lowe's, and NOT buying, either!
... things will level out eventually - free market enterprise in operation.
Tex
*snip*

They're great for prepackaged items with UPCs, but for anything that's no prepackaged or for big items like 2x4s it's much easier to have a real person use their portable scanner to check you out.
If I had to guess I would say that HD and Lowes have fewer "Just two light prepackaged items" customers than department stores like Kmart and Walmart.
Puckdropper

Same story in south central PA. I usually only go to HD, or Lowes for that matter, as a last resort. Though I gotta say, the Lowe's in our area aren't exactly spiffy on the service end either.
It used to be the borgs hired folks who had a clue about the stuff they were selling (both stores), now when/if you ask a question....You first of all pray that the individual in the vest speaks english (no offense to any non-english speaking folks, but if you're going to work with the public --- please speak the language of the public you're dealing with) and also that they have at least a clue of what they're selling.
I had a rather interesting discusion with a fellow in the lighting department about putting lights in a drop ceiling. He insited that the can style lights I was buying didn't need support, "just cut a hole in the ceiling tile and put the light in" he said....Now I know that they probably do make lights that you can do that with. The ones I was looking to buy weren't one of them. I finally picked up the package and pointed to where it said "MUST BE MOUNTED ON BRACKETS"..... The young fellow said "oh"....
Wanted to take a look at dado sets last night at a Lowes.....couldn't find them, couldn't find a vest to ask either....asked the guy across the aisle in paints....he didn't even know if they carried them....He also couldn't find anyone to ask since the store was pretty much empty of employees.
Which brings me to the next item of complaint...selection..Used to be you had three maybe even four brands to choose from on the shelf (and this goes for most stores now a days) now you get the priviledge of choosing from ONE brand.... There's a choice for ya...
I go to my local hardware stores most of the time now. The fellas and ladies there are always friendly, usually always know what they're talking about or can ask someone who does, and most of them know my name. I'm extremely fortunate to have two local stores that carry just about everything I need....
Thus ends my portion of this rant...... :-)

I was buying some siding that was available at both Lowes and HD. It seemed that the siding from Lowes was better quality. Same with PT 2x4s. Lowes tool section is better. Some of th sales droids at HD are real goofs but you can get that anywhere. The CEO of HD is a real asshole from what I hear from employess. There is no dedication to the company or the job either.
Isn't HD what "Handy Andy" and "Handy Dan" evolved into? I expect that HD is headed to the same demise.
What do you expect from a company that would sponsor a jerk like Tony Stewart ! ! !
R. Pierce Butler wrote:

EASY NOW!!!!! He's better than Jeff Gordon. And Robby Gordon for that matter of fact.

And everybody else too.

This rant will be a waste unless you send a copy to Home Deopt also.
I long since stopped using the Home Depots in my part of Georgia. Same reasons - less people, prices suck, inventory is really bad, and salespeople are more often than not clueless about their aisle.
What's behind their downfall is the original founders are long gone and the bean counters are in control and are setting the rules. We all know how companies do when the bean counters run them. Interestingly enough I scanned a report the other day off the net where a study was done on customer satisfaction for a couple of hundred stores. Surprise - Home Depot was next to last. Sorry, I don't remember who was last.
As someone has already said, the market place will take care of Home Depot. Their stock is dropping, their employees are quitting left and right. Eventually the stockholders will scream and boot the current management team out when they will figure out what Lowes figured out a couple years back - people will pay more for good service. Lowes is eating their lunch is pretty much every area they compete.

Here in Canada, Home Depot is not too bad yet but getting worse. There used to be 15 cashouts in the local store, they are down to two regular and one for lumber. They used to stock an suppliers entire line down to the last little item, now it is only the big sellers. They squeezed in appliances and dropped hardwood veneer plywoods and only carry some thicknesses of plywood, mdf and other sheet goods. If you want other thicknesses, go elsewhere.
When I can, I go to the local Revy Store, unfortunately it is very small but they can pack in almost as much merchandise as Home Depot, except building materials which are outside and sheet goods which they don't have much room for. They have cashiers and floor help and a bigger variety of many items.
We used to have 5 lumberyards and 3 hardware stores, now we are down to Revy, and Home Depot with some Canadian Tires which don't carry lumber and building supplies. The one good lumberyard closed its local store and moved to its rural store where it still is if you want a 30 mile round trip.
There is no such thing as a quick trip to HD any more. The lines

Well, from the responses. It is not just my imagination or the local area stores but every where Home Depot has gone down hill. I too, to the tune of several thousand dollars a year (remodeling projects) was spent at Home Depot but have since been purchasing mostly from Lowes. Lowes here in the PNW have 4 times as many clerks about twice as many people on the floor as Home Depot. BTW, I did send corporate a letter. Usually, you get a letter back with some kind of response. Nada, from Home Depot. Maybe they are making money from contractors and do not care about the few measely thousands of dollars from John Q Public doing remodel jobs.
BTW - I have sent at least 4 complaints about poor service to HD corporate. I got back a form letter about how sorry they were and 4 gift cards in varying amounts up to $20. Don't know what pissed me off more, the measly attempt of appeasement with the gift cards or the form letters.
The solution, as someone already said, if for lots of people to send them complaint letters (emails)

The solution is to buy from somebody else. Anybody else, but preferably someone local, who knows your name when you come in. Even if you're 'just a homeowner'.
Patriarch
Ed Walsh wrote:

No - the solution is to find alternative sources and deprive HD (and others like them) of your money. When profits and market share look like twin kamikaze planes on the way down, THAT'S when you have their attention. And there's another thing that's effective: bad publicity. Get a group together to picket the store pointing out the bad service, etc. Local paper/TV comes around to see the "consumer rebellion" and HD corporate may start to get serious.
FoggyTown
As I get more involved in my woodworking I am less and less likely to go to a big box store. There are some advantages to them however. This is my current "store" rundown.
Softwood Lumber : 84 Lumber or 88-BC (a family yard near Binghamton), both reasonable quality for 1-by and 2-by pine lumber.
Hardwood Lumber: Southern Tier Hardwoods, excellent prices per BF and they have a section where you can just buy one board if you like S4S, or get a truckload of rough or s2s, whatever.
Plywood and sheet goods: Lowes, period. There is no local source for Baltic Birch (that I know of) and Lowes has much better stock of MDF and plywoods than HD or the yards. Honestly there may be a better source for "cabinet grade" stuff but i have not really needed much of that.
"Pony Clamps", router bits that I need right now, pipe, Jorgensen etc, melamine : Home Depot: They stock more and better router bits than both Lowes in the area and the hardware stores are not even in the game.
Handheld Power tools: Lowes or HD, toss-up, depends on who has which. The local hardware stores usually just don't have anything.
Hand tools: herein lies the rub: NOBODY has anything good that I can just go and handle. It's ALL mail order. Rockler, Lee Valley, ebay whatever. I have to buy every bloody hand tool without ever touching it. Unless I want some crummy lookalike tool made by a company that "used" to make good tools. That said, both Rockler and Lee Valley have been a pleasure to order from, especially Lee Valley.
Large Power tools: hrm... probably order them from a real commercial equipment dealer who can have them shipped to their location and then load them into my trailer for me. I don't expect to ever buy another large power tool from a big-box store (although I like my Hitachi SCMS and Delta teeny DP)
There is also a decent hardware store nearby, but to be honest, their selection of tools is no better than the overlap between Lowes and HD. Knowledge base of the staff there is probably a bit better though. I would go there for pipe fittings, or vent tubes etc, stuff that I don't know about and need to ask questions.
Paint: paint store of course, Sherwin Williams.
Knowledge: I learn more in this NG than I would learn asking questions at any of these places!
On Wed, 02 Aug 2006 09:17:22 -0400, Andrew Williams

... yep. A while back my son and I were walking into HD for something that had broken that weekend (I think it was manifold for the drip system) when we met a person I have worked with in the past. He was coming out of the store happy as a lark, say me and said, "going into the fun store, eh?" Funny thing is, I haven't looked at HD that way for probably the last 12 years.

So you got at least $24 from them and maybe more like $35. I'm thinking you need to keep the cards and letters coming until you save up enough cards for something you want but don't need. :-)
On Thu, 03 Aug 2006 06:46:47 GMT, Lobby Dosser

Hmmm. They sent me a no-limit 10% off coupon.