your thoughts on metric

"Not Gimpy Anymore" wrote in news:cycRi.35258 $ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr13.news.prodigy.net:

*snip*

You know, I once had a person use a calculator to give me change... and she gave me the wrong amount! This was at the bank too!

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

The ones that I used were really a pain, for the task at hand. I was doing installations of in-grid ceiling sound systems and in that environment, you're working among too many tradesmen. Electricians are there, masons and tile guys, carpenters, painters, and more, all working in the same small areas with all of their stuff scattered all over the place. It's a bad working environment, but it's the way it is. These ladders were very awkward to use since they have such a large footprint and require so much farting around to set up and to move. A regular step ladder is so much faster to open up, close up, move around, etc. It's much easier to move a 8 footer around in these environments and open it up than it is to set up one of these. Granted - that 8 footer is not as versatile, but I really hated using the little giant. The other thing that quickly became annoying was that with not a lot of use, the latches become difficult to work. Not real difficult, but sticky - kinda.

I know this - I can walk in with a standard 8 footer while someone else walks in with a Little Giant, and I can get my ladder on the floor, opened up and be up in the grid while the other person is still flipping those latches. For me, that is more important than the versatility that the Little Giant offers. For others, the opposite is true.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

You're right about the different ladders - I have used both styles and of the two I really hate the 3 hinge style the most. They are the most awkward to use. There's no question that the single hinge style of the Little Giant is far less awkward than the 3 hinge style, but I still prefer a straight up step ladder to those.

Some of our experiences may be reflective of the equipment we've used. I don't know how you use your ladders, and who else uses them, or how well they are cared for. I take care of my equipment as I suspect you do yours, but the equipment I have the (dis)pleasure of using from time to time is not always so well cared for. It gets thrown into trucks, jammed in to make it fit, buried under everything and yanked out from below it all, knocked around, left out in the weather, etc. You know - the basic don't care sort of thing. They don't work as well when exposed to this treatment. Subject the more simple step ladder to this same abuse and there isn't as much to go wrong. It just opens up and it's there. You have to deal with a regular step requiring more storage space, and you have to deal with keeping more ladders on hand, but I prefer that. If I need a 5 footer, that's what I use. As I'm fond of saying, it's all a matter of perspective.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Spray a little Endust on the latch and or extension slides.

The single cheap step ladder is easier but if you need to get up high the Little giant wins out. Mine works well when painting a winding star well, or any stair well, ;~) or getting up into a tree, one of mine will extend to 19'. Then I ended up buying a 3' clone version for working inside a house when you need something more than a step stool. If I had job specific applications I would do like you and get job specific equipment. I tend to take what ever comes my way.

Reply to
Leon

Huh? What are you - crazy Leon? 19 feet? In the air? That's almost 20 feet up man! I only get that high in a tree stand - not on any damned ladder. Ain't supposed to be that way. Never was.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

LOL.. A buddy and I were up on our ladders, we wrestled with his 20' extension ladder and easily put mine up 6' away. We were in an entry way that had no ceiling until you reached the second floor ceiling. Both floors had 10' ceilings and we were hanging "BIG GAME" trophies. He grabbed one end of the antler and I grabbed the other and we went up one step at a time until the mounting hole met up with the lag bolt 16' up off the floor. We hung Moose, Elk, and a few bigger ones that I could not recognize. Thank goodness they were basically hollow as they 60 -80 pounds each. We balked when the customer said that he also had an elephant head to hang. That said, he, 18 years my senior had no problem shooting up his 40' extension ladder while I stood at the bottom making sure the bottom did not slide out from under him. Now that is one hard ladder to raise.

Reply to
Leon

I'll only do it in a an airplane.

I'm totally afraid of heights.

Reply to
B A R R Y

on 10/16/2007 8:19 PM Not Gimpy Anymore said the following:

It's practical, just not feasible.

Reply to
willshak

You forgot to add the three quarter of a trillion dollars YOU and I have spent on Iraq - so far. The 3,800 lives - well how do you put a dollar value on them? Don't know about NJ gas prices but I just pumped $3.119 per gallon for 87 octane here in CA and a barrel of oil was at $89 today. Was hovering around $60 a barrel BII (Before Invading Iraq). Far as I can tell, based on the profits statements of the major oil companies, we're paying more than just the pump price for our gasoline. Now I know that some of the price increase is attributable to increased demand from China and India - but . . .

charlie b

having an imperial and metric tape measure and a digital caliper that can be switched between decimal inches, fractional inches and mm does make transitioning / converting.

Reply to
charlieb

charlieb wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@accesscom.com:

Churchill said something like democracy is the worst system on earth, but there is nothing better.

Somebody else said that if ou repeat a lie often enough, it becomes the "truth" As an immigrant in 1969 I have fared rather well.

Reply to
Han

Han... A version of that one that I use often is: "Perception becomes reality if you can get enough people to share the perception"

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Autos need metric (with a few exceptions) and everything else of any size uses SAE, so they do sell both. My auto set in metric is growing.

Reply to
Mike Dobony

It has always confused me that while many Americans were vehemently opposed to metric, they still measure weapons in it. 9mm etc.

I'm numerically dyslexic, which makes numbers hard for me anyway. I also have the disadvantage of going to school so that I finished here in Australia in 1972. This meant I was taught in imperial but those in the year behind me were taught in metric. So now I have both in my head arguing with each other.

On the whole though, with my particular disability metric is easier.

Mekon

Reply to
Mekon

Acually, for the most part, we don't. Most rifle and pistol calibers in the U.S. are measured in decimal inches, e.g. .22, .308, .243, .357, etc.

And we still use the old Imperial gauge sizes for shotguns. (The .410 being an exception, but that's decimal inches again.)

Reply to
Doug Miller

Miller won't admit to such trivial weapons as the 105 mm and 20 mm canons, he just wants you to be wrong..

Reply to
Robatoy

Some weaponry, but far from all, or even most. Think of all of the decimal calibers out there. Everything from .22 to .308 to .45 to .50.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Come on, Doug. You know damn well that the only pistol worth having is a nine. And that you have to hold it sideways.

John Martin

Reply to
John Martin

Mike Marlow wrote on 30/10/2007 :

I am just surprised there are any at all given the resistance I have seen here and elsewhere. It always reminds me of the debate between Mac and PC or some sort of religious conflict.

Mekon

Reply to
Mekon

Naw - not as complicated as that - more like 50 vs. 60 Hz, & which side of the road you drive on.... Just the practical aspects of having to overcome social inertia of two large worlds that grew up as part of different families....

Reply to
Not Gimpy Anymore

I think most of those calibers were imported from Europe. Most small arms are measured in decimal inches: 0.22-250, 0.22, .38, .357, .44, .45, .243, etc.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita