your thoughts on metric

Page 8 of 11
Robatoy wrote:

Big Al's too busy destroying the credibility of the Nobel Prize committee to be bothered with that right now.
They really should have just created a new category, the Nobel Slinging Bullshit Prize.
--John
Main problem with Al's film is the title .. S/B "an Incomplete Truth"
J. Clarke wrote:

The title is correct, An Inconvenient Truth. Inconvenient that the Truth is not covered by the film. 20-25 years ago the political swing was that we were headed into the next Ice Age. Now that all this change has come into effect the earth is starting to warm. LOL. I was reading that one of the reasons that hurricanes are becoming more frequent and stronger is because we are cleaning up the upper atmosphere. With less of what ever the spray cans were releasing the atmosphere is clearer and the sun heats the oceans up more. The cure is killing us. Today I heard that the storms 40-50 years ago were just as strong. I agree, I went through a hurricane when I was 15 and thought I would be killed. The official winds were recorded at less than 140 mph. Local wind meters had sustained winds of over 160 mph. More thorough record keeping makes storms seem stronger now. The storm I went through has recorded wind speed at 12 noon and 6 that evening. The highest winds were between 3 and 4 pm. Another inconvenient truth.

I wonder what factor was used to decide that a film qualified for a Peace Prize. Jimmy Carter and Yassar Arafat won that prize which only points out its absurdity.

I am going down later today to personally fire all of the meteorologists in Houston! Yesterday morning at about 7:30 I was listening to the channel 2 weather and they were simply restating what they predicted that the weather would feel like, the day before.
It is going to be DRY and cool.
I went outside and saw a heavy layer of dew on my truck and on my son's car and then I looked at the big wet spot on the drive way where the dew had been dripping off of the house.
The SOB's don't care about facts!
"Leon" wrote

in
car
Before you do, make sure it wasn't that BIG dog of yours... ! :)

And obviously, neither do committee's who award certain prizes. :)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/30/07

Yeah, but that's nothing new. Whatever shred of credibility that committee may have had remaining disappeared in 1994 when they awarded the Nobel Prize for Peace (!) to a terrorist (Yasser Arafat).
Looking over the list of laureates http://nobelpeaceprize.org/eng_lau_list.html it appears that the inmates began making a concerted effort to take over the asylum beginning around 1960.
--
Regards,
Lee wrote:

Liquid measurements, as well.
I'd much rather deal with (milli)litres, rather than fractions of ounces, when mixing finishes.

Archh yes, laddy, 'bout a dram of scotch?

You deal with WHAT???? Barry - we've got to talk...
Go to the automotive paint supply store and get yourself a set of paint sticks. They will be calibrated on both sides for different ratios of mix. Two sticks should cover all you will ever need. Need a 4:1:1 mix? Forget about ounces. Pour the components in to the measurements on the sticks. Wipe 'em off with solvent and put them away for the next job. It should not take you any longer to pour mixtures to the proper ratios than to simply pour the component parts. You're doing way too much math.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

Thanks! I actually was planning a trip to check out 3M PPS cups. I'll look for the cups, too.

I meant STICKS! <G>
Lee wrote:

One could argue that the binary system has finer granularity than that old fashioned pre-computer decimal system.
Binary gives you 3 units between 1/1 and 1/10, and 3 units between 1/10 and 1/100.
Lot more flexible.
Or hadn't you noticed that 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, 1/32, 1/64 were powers of 2 in the denominator?
--John

I prefer metric for wrenches, sockets and drill bits... beats the hell out of figuring out the fractions..
If 12mm doesn't fit, go to 11 or 13 simple!
As for 15/32 and such, if the plywood people would/wood go back to 3/4" and such, it wouldn't be a problem..
Related rant: Why can't hardwood people use nominal sizes like the rest of the lumber industry?
I just bout 3 one foot sections of 16/16 cocobolo... why not just a friggin' 4x4"?
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
"mac davis" wrote in message

There is no industry, like the construction industry which primarily uses softwoods, which requires "standards" to build to?
The cell structure for softwoods is less subject to stability issues inherent with different methods of cutting a log, thereby it's easier/more cost effective/less waste to produce to standardized sizes while maintaining stability?
There is a lot of waste in milling standardized nominal sizes with hardwoods, because of the above, that they couldn't charge you for?
I dunno ... just a few guesses, among many.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/30/07
Lee wrote:

Well, it has been a couple of years since rec.ww has had a metric thread. Used to be one of these every couple of months. As you can see, it can generate a few comments. :-)

on 10/12/2007 11:29 PM Mark & Juanita said the following:

If metric ever comes to this country (US), we should dress up as Amerinds and toss the whole lot into the harbor. :-)
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Better get dressed. Metric has been here for decades and is becoming more prominent all the time.