your thoughts on metric

Page 5 of 11  


Well, that's another matter. Simple fractions are not that hard and after one double-checks the calculations/measurements, both systems are easy to use..IF.. you use them all the time.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Go buy a couple of metric tape measures and have at it. I think you could use whatever you like. You might have to replace bits and maybe other things but as far as measuring goes, what difference does it make as long as you always use the same thing? Of course for me, all of the code requirements are still in inches so I'd have some converting to do.
BTW, the scale on my Bies has both but the inch scale is on the top where you can almost see it under the top of the pointer. I kinda wish it was the other way around. I haven't spent the $15 for a replacement scale in inches yet but I may have to.
Mike O.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
But why must we replace bits, sockets, tape measures and all of our imperial sized tools? Just to be like the rest of the world? After 39 years of following my father around the world or bouncing around it myself ( we're both career military) I'll tell you I don't see anything they do that warrens changing. In the age of the internet if you want to change, order your tools aboard but don't force your ideas on the rest of us!!!!
--
Mike
Watch for the bounce.
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Ask the companies that have not been able to sell their products and machines overseas because the other countries want metric. It may not affect you, but it certainly does affect some people. If you don't want to participate in a world economy, you don't have to.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Some nations think they ARE the World Economy.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

I know of no company that doesn't make metric products for the export market if that is their target. It's a strawman argument. US automakers have switched, for example.
--
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Since you don't know of them they don't exist? I know of two companies that have not had success in Europe because they don't want to change to metric. One no longer tries, the other is going to make the change. It may be a strawman argument today because the auto industry finally figured out it would be wise to change. They are still fighting right hand drive.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

That's a given. You do have to cater to the client. My point was, if perhaps not well stated, that if you're going for a market for which it is important, you will have made the change as part of that effort -- if you try the other way, you're not very serious. Ergo, those that have serious intents have made the change. I think in large part, that's true, whether there happen to be a few holdouts or not. That's a different subject imo than whether it should be universal for common usage.

While I'll agree that _eventually_ it might become common in the US, I don't foresee the shift from driving on the right in NA ever changing.
--
>
>
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Then they don't _really_ want the European market.

So they've decided that they really want the export market and the other company has decided that it doesn't. None of this negates the original point.
It may be a strawman argument today because the auto

--
--
--John
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

And if someone can make enough by changing to metric to recoup the cost more power to them. That is not justification for _me_ to do it.
--
--
--John
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Hmm. Saw a report today that China is creeping up on $1 trillion in exports. Much of that to the US and all in Imperial measure. Point is, if countries want to export to the US, it better not be metric.
Reality check: Do Japanese autos imported to the US have speedometers in KPH?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

I have to wonder if China is making what we want to specification easier than other countries because many of their workers have no real experience with either one in an industrial work, thus adapting readily? Seems that many of the opponents are more opposed to having to adapt and learn something new rather that solid reasons why one is better than the other.
Can that Japanese car be made cheaper if they stocked only one model of instrument? My Buick is changed on all gauges at the push of a button. Handy when I go to Canada.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
*snip*

My Japanese-made Prius switches when you press the button. The good stuff from Japan (Nintendo and Toyota are my primary reference points) do an excellent job of making the fact they use different measurements transparent.
Puckdropper
--
Wise is the man who attempts to answer his question before asking it.

To email me directly, send a message to puckdropper (at) fastmail.fm
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

As does my in-law's first generation Prius and the new Mazda 5 mini-minivan they just bought.
Reality check... We have new US-built Chevy Malibu's at work, that can display in Kilometers or Miles, as well as a dash display that speaks at least four languages. In a Chevy! We have gobs of fun setting the display to other choices. <G>
Both of my personal vehicles, a Jeep TJ and a Toyota pickup have analog meters with dual scales. As do most of my stationary and benchtop tools.
The only big tool I own that dosen't have dual scales is my Performax 22-44 drum sander. Performax thoughtfully included the metric version for the user to install.
To tune, adjust, and repair my tools, as well as all of the cars I've owned in the last 10-15 years, will require both metric and SAE tools.
--------------------------------------------- ** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html ** ---------------------------------------------
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Huh?
They absolutely do.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Leon wrote:

In mph as well (not exclusive of)...
--
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Why change something that so many people understand and have the tools for in their boxes. I learned fractions (imperial) first, then in high school was taught metric as the wave of the future, that was 1970 to 1974 no waves yet, give it up and stick to what everyone knows. Before I get flamed by the metric mafia I will state I can do both and make most conversions in my head but prefer Imperial.
--
Mike
Watch for the bounce.
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Same reason people are learning to speak other languages. They want to be part of the rest of the world and reap benefits from it. Many schools are starting to teach Mandarin.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

And there you have it. People _want_ to. Nobody has suggested that a person who _wants_ to change to metric should be prohibited from doing so. So what are you on about?
--
--
--John
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

I just like to irritate the hell out of you. I see it is working.
Hey, I never said we must change. I did said there is not a good reason NOT to use it. You are getting all emotional as if you fear change.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Related Threads

    HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.