your thoughts on metric

Page 11 of 11
Lee wrote:

Getting a Festool DOMINO forced me into metric. Thinking in metric took a while - 25.4 mm/inch a became one of those numbers to add to my instant recall list - which includes much harder to remember 7 and 10 digit phone numbers, PIN numbers, drivers license number, license plate numbers etc. No big deal.
After a while I thought and calculated in metric when using the DOMINO. And calculating mainly in integers is a LOT easier than with mixed fractions. The DOMINO cuts mortises for loose/floating tenon joinery. When you're playing with mortise and tenons joinery, lets say for a table apron to leg joint, you want "outside faces" either flush or "set back" some specific distance. Working out where the center of the mortise in the leg should be, and where the center of the tenon, or the center of the mortise, in the end of the apron should be - in order to get the outside face flush, or set back a desired distance - can be "challenging if you use "imperial". MUCH easier using metric. Here's a link to a page that shows what I'm trying to describe.
http://web.hypersurf.com/~charlie2/DOMINO/DOMINO_Reveals.html
If you do ply "case work", there are several metric systems - and tools - to make producing parts quickly, accurately and efficiently. The "32 mm System" has been around for quite a while - for a reason.
If you do solid wood furniture, and mill your own stock you don't need imperial or metric. If you need something to be "this tall" - you mark a stick for "this tall" and cut the needed parts "that long". If you need something to fit "between here and there" you use slip sticks to get "this wide" or "this long" and cut your parts "this wide" and "this long". No numbers at all required. And it's easy to find the centerline of a board. All that colonial furniture was done without measuring tapes or rulers, divided into 32nds or 64ths.
I'm still using imperial, but the DOMINO is changing that.
charlie b

SNIP
Yeah! the really hard part is what depth plunge setting to use. Will 15 mm go all the way through? LOL

on 10/13/2007 6:52 AM charlieb said the following:

Lucky for you. With my CRS, I can't remember a 4 digit phone number between looking it up in the phone book and picking up the telephone handset.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY