your project

Page 1 of 2
post info on your last project not many of you post your projects so this is your chance
i made a minimalist bookshelf a sort of mission style but more minimal all from previously used lumber
also making some tv trays these make the usual store bought trays look even cheaper and flimsier
which seems hard as most of the ones i have seen are thrown together garbage which is not a surprise so it was easy to do better
Electric Comet wrote:

I posted my last "project"--such as it was. Hope you are not offended by my use of punctuation.
--
GW Ross

On 11/14/2015 6:54 AM, G. Ross wrote:

table I had a lot of problems with the finish. With extensive research and experimentation it is complete and is sitting beside me as I type.
While I know it it not what is consider good by the subscribers to this newsgroup, I am satisfied with my First table.

Your first? It may very well be better than any ones first. If you are happy with your results be proud, none of us are perfect.
On Saturday, November 14, 2015 at 6:56:17 AM UTC-6, keith_

My first table was in 9th grade shop class - 2'X 2' top, 4 legs with lower stretchers, no skirt-type leg-top attachment.... the legs attached directly to the top with "dowels". I had no idea of what a dowel rod was. I carve d "dowels" (nubs) on the leg tops, to insert into the table holes. The te acher made it a point of showing the class what I did (carved dowels), then he explained, to me, what a dowel is for, etc.
Lately, my projects have been put on hold. Been away from home, a lot, tak ing care of Mom, with dementia. To engage her, we built a new bird house. Hope to bring it back to her, today, for priming and painting. Seems, t hese little projects (flowers, pot plants, also) helps keep her mind off ot her "issues".... calms her anxieties, etc.
I hope to be back in the shop tomorrow and do a little more work on the alt ernative camp dining table.... E.R. cedar, this time 'round.
Sonny
On Sat, 14 Nov 2015 06:50:34 -0800 (PST)

like the birdhouse idea
now i know what to do with all the scraps i have i know an old man that might like one for similar reasons
what kind of bird or is it purely decorative
i know some birds are picky about the house they will use
On Sat, 14 Nov 2015 07:56:10 -0500

i always figure that if you like what you make then it is a success
i always notice my flaws in the stuff i make and no one else does the shelf i made has a saw burn mark here and there and it almost looks like the wood grain
i noticed it but no one else mentioned it
On 11/14/15 5:54 AM, G. Ross wrote:

I'm certainly not... sure makes it easier to read.
--

-MIKE-

On Sat, 14 Nov 2015 06:54:38 -0500

the useful projects are always the best
just curious why the glossy then the satin
i know very little about finishing
On 11/14/2015 10:57 AM, Electric Comet wrote:

Satin uses a talc additive to give a "satin" appearance and starts off as a gloss. Gloss simply does not talc to muddy up the finish.
Typically you use gloss to get a good clear finish and then as a last coat add the satin.
G. Ross wrote:

Good for you...ee cummings et al be damned :)
On 11/13/2015 10:39 PM, Electric Comet wrote:

Actually I post most of my work as I do it. But I will not repost for the sake of showing it under this thread.

got pictures?

On Sat, 14 Nov 2015 08:12:00 -0600

nope might make another tray and will try to remember a pic

I decided to make a set of cauls. Wouldn't you know it, though? My tools are all set up to cut straight and all the hand planes were down with a case of Oak rust! I've got them sitting in a special Nitrogen solution to hopefully reverse it.
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

On 14 Nov 2015 14:46:39 GMT Puckdropper <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:

i will guess oak rust is from the resins in oak
Electric Comet wrote:

No, from the tannins. Which is why you don't use iron/steel (non stainless) fasteners in oak.
On Sat, 14 Nov 2015 15:55:42 -0500

i use resins and tannins to mean the same but i did not know this about oak and fasteners
i made a small table using oak not too long ago and use stainless just for the look and i guess i count myself lucky for doing that
i bought high quality stainless nuts and bolts

Search the archives here. There's plenty of good information about oak rust.
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

On 16 Nov 2015 15:34:12 GMT Puckdropper <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:

interesting oak rust is a fungus
tannins are a constituent of resins tannins in the pulp and paper industry are considered corrosion inhibitors
and a study showed that pH was a corrosive factor and that tannins are a corrosion inhibitor

You oughta see what it does around WD40 and vehicle brakes.
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.