Your kickback experience

Page 1 of 3

Before you read this, please understand I am not asking if it's OK to be unsafe and have a kickback incident, I just want to know what really happens to us all.
A post about a year ago from me describes a kickback incident I had that hurt pretty bad. The board didnt break the skin, but blood finally made it to the surface of my gut the next day. I never want to have that happen again, but a recent post titled 'Table saw wood splitter/anti kick back question' made me wonder what people are actually referring too when they say stuff like "it'll eventually get you".
How many people here have had a significant kickback incident?
How bad was it? Was it just a 'put a bandaid on it and get back to sawing' incident or a 'Im not sure I ever want to touch a tablesaw again' incident? Was it really a life threatening issue?
Mine was a 'put a bandaid on it' (plus a new pair of undies) incident. A year later and I'm still ultra careful and hate to think what would have happend had my gut been my head in that instance.
Thanks,
Mike
Mike W. wrote:

ago. I was just a kid. A friend of my father owned a lumber yard and his kid (the lumber yard owner), a teenager, helped out his dad on the weekends. There was a kickback on the RAS and it killed the kid. I really don't remember much more than that.
Glen

I had a 1x1 piece of hickory kick past me 12' to the wall, put a 1/2" deep dent in a solid-core door leaning there then bounce back, hit the opposite wall 25' feet away, and land on the floor in front of the saw.
I've never been hit, because I never stand in the kickback path.
djb
--
"I don't like dealing with people. I'd rather be back working in Human
Resources."

So this piece traveled a total distance of 37 feet? It traveled 12' in one direction, hit a door, turned 180 degrees and traveled 25 more feet??? Was the second leg of its trip mostly sliding on the ground? How powerful was the saw and did the piece fly off at face level?
Mike Pio wrote:

Think semi-elastic collision and, if the door was leaning against the wall, angle of incidence vs. angle of reflection.
er

12" directly away from the saw, then 25" to opposite wall, then however far back to the saw. The total distance computation would require some angles, but has to be more than 37'. If it turned 180 degrees as you assume then the total distance would have been 50' (12 to one wall then 25 going past the saw, then back 13 feet to the saw). Whew...didn't add one little bit to the actual conversation there, did I?
Dave Hall

I shot a little block of wood out of my garage, 35 feet to the street, 25 feet across the street and plugged it in the sod, about 10 feet in the neighbor's yard. A couple of these and you will build a sled with clamps on it ;-)

It fired past me at waist level (Skil bench saw), hit the door standing against the wall, came back past me, hit the opposite wall (in the air) and slid on the floor back towards me.
37 feet isn't as far as you think...

Hummm.. The kick back path is anywhere behind the saw. I suspect you have never been hit because you have been lucky also. I have had a kick back go out over the fence and to the right side of the saw.

Possible, I suppose. It's more likely I'm cautious and don't like to attempt dangerous cuts.
The kickback incident I described earlier is the only significant kickback I've ever experienced, and it was a dangerous cut, and I was well aware of the danger.
It was also not a cut I would try again.

That is one magic piece of hickory. (Apologies to Oliver Stone).
Seriously, I don't doubt it. My one experience was a small piece of pine, 1x2x~6", that would have taken off a piece of my cheek, lip, and ear if I hadn't had on glasses and ear muffs. About half my face was numb for two days. I now wear these things not just because of the danger of flying particles and hearing damage, but also for the physical protection they afford. Oh, and I also traded my Craftsman contractor's saw in for a new Unisaw, in hopes that the fence will stay in adjustment (it has now, for 10 years).
--
Mike
NRA Life Member
Mike W. wrote:

It's the American way. It's always someone elses falt.

Mike W. wrote:

In my 35 years of using table saws, I have had a couple of kickbacks that hurt. Once I was cutting some wood that was warping as it was going through the blade and kicked back driving a splinter through the skin between my thumb and forefinger. The splinter was about 3/8" diameter where it met my skin. That hurt. Another time I had completed a cut but hadn't pushed the pieces past the saw blade and was moving the cutoff (widest piece) off of the table and came into contact with the piece between the blade and fence. It bound up and kicked back into my hip. That hurt quite a bit also and left a bruise that stayed for about a week.
We set up a piece of plywood in front of a table saw once and drew a target on it. We would leave the fence slightly loose, run a piece of 1x4 through the saw (to make a 3/4 x 3/4 piece), then push the fence into the piece and send it flying back (intentional kickback). You can put a 6 foot piece of 3/4 x 3/4 pine about 3 feet through a 3/4 inch thick piece of plywood from 15 feet away that way. Really makes you respect the power. Love those Powermatics!
In those 35 years, I have never used a table saw with a blade guard, splitter or anti kickback pawls. But this is what I do for a living, so I guess I am just used to saws that way. Haven't had any other harmful kickbacks. A few kickbacks, but none that have hurt me. I always stand out of the way.
--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Robert Allison said:

And that is a sobering realization that most do not comprehend until it is too late.
I've seen chunks of wood hanging from a hole in a concrete block. Not in my shop, fortunately...
But it's the little things that will get you. Ripping 10' x 10" x 2" lumber, never had a problem. You KNOW this is a tough job and to keep your wits about you. It's that little piece of hardboard your going to shave a 1/4" inch from the edge of that'll get you in the end... DAMHIKT
Greg G.

You too!!!???
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
Mike Marlow said:

Yep, it left a small cut, but a large bruise on my hand. Must have hit pretty hard, cause there was bleeding under the skin, and it hurt like the dickens for weeks.
The cut was through - but I let the piece _just_ kiss the back of the blade. And it'll never happen again, if I can help it. It was one of those _What If_ moments, for sure.
Greg G.

It only has to happen one time and you quickly figure out that the slight "swishing" sound you hear is a precursor to a very bad thing. And to think - it's such a gentle little sound...
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
Mike Marlow said:

That is probably one reservation I held for a while about a more powerful saw - what if it had been 3HP instead of 1HP.
On a lathe, you can leave the belt a little lose to help cushion the response to a catch, but you still have to deal with the kinetic energy contained in the rotating object. On a 3HP table saw, that isn't an option - it doesn't jam and stall, it rips it outta there and sends it flying, continuing to merrily spin along, never skipping a beat.
When I first purchased a WWII table saw blade, that thing was _SO_ freaken sharp it was unnerving. It was like 40 little well formed, scary-sharpened chisels all vying for a piece-o-me. Granted, the blade's sharpness ultimately means less than it's speed and energy - they'll all cut your fingers off just as quick - but that thing just made it seem so ... scary ...
Greg G.

Unless it's a particularly big and heavy piece of wood caught in a kickback scenario, I wouldn't expect HP to make all that much difference. It's likely that RPM would be similar between different HP ratings.