your current drill press rpm

mine's variable but I don't vary it very much and right now I think it's set to ~2000 rpm

What's yours set to? And do you vary it often?

It's like the lathe and speed depends on the wood but so far I've not had any problems. I got a fair bit of steam when drilling wet wood but I don't think lower rpm would make a difference

Reply to
Electric Comet

I rarely use any of my drill presses for wood, but I set the speed based on the material and the bit size. On my no-name mill drill I leave a 5/8 bit in it for drilling out low pressure injection mold ports, and leave it set at its slowest speed. On my floor model I drill a lot of .250 (+/-) holes in aluminum so I leave it set around 2.8K. If I use a larger or a smaller bit or drill some other material with it I open the belt lid, and look at the speed table list for materials and bit size. My bench top drill press only ever gets used for my tapping head, so it gets left at its slowest speed as well.

Most of my odd drilling is done on one of the CNC mills, and every single operation is calculated for a solid conservative speed and feed based on material, bit size, horsepower, bit strength etc. Well, except stainless which I try to drill as aggressively as practical so that it doesn't work harden on me halfway through the hole.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

"Bob La Londe" wrote in news:maglff$drn$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

620, as slow as it can go. Works fine for small bits in wood (it's still a lot faster than I can crank a hand drill), and I don't have to remember to slow it down for a big forstner. I don't remember the last time I changed it.

I use mine whenever I can. I like my holes to be at right angles to the surface of the wood :-)

John

Reply to
John McCoy

I typically keep my DP set at 750 and lower. Most of my holes are drilled 1-3/8" for Euro hinges.

Reply to
Leon

Doug Winterburn

;~) You just answered the next 50 questions.

Reply to
Leon

Right now it's set to 844, as I have been drilling a lof of small holes in wood. Usually I leave it at 350 or 500, which is good for metal up to about 1/2".

I'm pretty lazy about changing it, unless I really need to/should.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

Doug Winterburn

Ditto here.

Reply to
Max

this reminds me to spray a clear coat over the speed table on mine I did so already for the motor wiring diagram

I think I'm going to lower mine below 1,000 and see how I like it

Do you ever use boring bars for wood? this might solve a problem I have with drilling deep holes in wood

do you mean the stainless gets hard when you start to work it? I didn't know that

Reply to
Electric Comet

840 sounds better 2000 is not a good set it and leave it setting
Reply to
Electric Comet
0-5000 variable not incremental and adjusted constantly. Old Rockwell =
pat

Electric Comet wrote in news:magl1d$22n$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

0 rpm. I vary it quite often.

The control is actually set rather fast... something like 3600 RPM. Since it's adjustable via a speed control lever, I do vary it quite often. Sometimes it makes a difference, but never has a bit refused to work because of improper speed.

You might consider withdrawing the drill bit more often. Wet wood will tend to stick, so you'll be slogging along chips as well as attempting to get the end of the bit to cut. A little wax might help as well.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Settled long ago that 1200rpm seemed to work best on this particular machine and for what I do.

Occasionally, depending on both the material, but deciding factor is whether I'm not getting the results I want.

(I've had the same chart taped to the top cover for over a decade)

Reply to
Swingman

170-3000 variable incremental and adjusted regularly. ;-)
Reply to
krw

For most stainless alloys. YES!

Reply to
Bob La Londe

If you get it blue - you will have some serious crystals grown that are chrome oxide. Hard stuff - Green stones grind it out.

Martin

Reply to
Martin Eastburn