Youbo Bench Extensions

Page 2 of 2

If you make a habit of wearing flip flops, that kind of reaction develops quickly. Drop something on your foot once or twice, and you become much more aware of the effects of gravity. :-)
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

On 4/4/2014 12:48 AM, Puckdropper wrote:

Don't tell me you wear flip flops in the shop??? I realize that sneakers aren't much better, but still, you won't get splinters through your sneaker (smaller ones). Certainly a sneaker won't offer much protection from a knife or chisel...
--
Jeff

The leather uppers on my sneakers/tennis shoes/running shoes/athletic shoes, pick your regional variation, deflect a dropped chisel much the same as the leather uppers on a work shoe. That said, _if_ i drop a chisel (which I try not to), I'll move my feet out of the way before it hits the mat protecting the chisel from the concrete floor.

I did the opposite, kinda'.
I was re-installing a set of planner blades in a 20 Powermatic in the ag shop, and re-adjusting them. A wrench or something was sitting up on the top of the planner, and students were gathered around learning to at least appreciate what it took to set up a planner. One of them bumped the [whatever] and it was about to hit the newly sharpened and honed blade. I tried to grab it, and in doing so, ran my knuckle along 3 or 4 inches of blade. About 3 stitches, as I recall, almost to the bone.
I did keep from getting the blade nicked, though! It was all instinct, unfortunately.
--
Jim in NC

On 4/4/2014 11:59 AM, Morgans wrote:

Nice save.. That's not a nice place for stitches.. no meat there.
--
Jeff

I also step quickly away, but it is a trained response (fortunately without an injury story behind it). While I am stepping away, there is a voice in my head shouting, "Don't do it. Do! Not! Catch!"
--
In Dr. Johnson's famous dictionary patriotism is defined as the
last resort of the scoundrel. With all due respect to an enlightened